12. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
A reread, but who can beat Austen? I will say that I was annoyed with both Marianne and Elinor the entire book. Come on, ladies...COMMUNICATE!
13. Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock
A sad tale of child abuse and the psychological ramifications told through a 9 year-old narrator. It wasn't a fantastic book; I wasn't that impressed with the child narration.
14. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
A collection of intertwined stories detailing the personal struggles of a group of people who work (or read) an international newspaper. I really enjoyed this book. I loved seeing the connections between the characters and getting a glimpse into their personal struggles. This is the author's debut novel, and I was impressed.
15. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Another book I really enjoyed. A tender story set during World War II in Seattle. A Chinese American boy and a Japanese American girl fall in love, but face opposition from family and peers, especially as the war progresses and the Japanese internment begins. I would recommend this and think it would make a nice book club selection.
16. Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
Blah. I've never seen the play, but have heard enough about this book and the play to pick this up from the library. The first half was interesting, but ugh...I could barely finish the second half. I just lost interest and finished only because I was hoping for a nice satisfying ending. It wasn't and I am still mad that I finished it. Anyone read anything else by Maguire? Am I missing something here?
17. Every Last One by Anna Quindlen.
Another library pick. I need to go without my children, so I can pick a book more thoughtfully. A quick read about a shocking loss. I started skimming after a while. I just wasn't invested in the characters, so although I was sad the narrators loss, I wasn't driven to see how she reacted to it.
I started reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese and have been slowly enjoying it. I do have to pick up the pace though, I don't want to fall behind!
12 comments:
For the record, the musical Wicked is nothing -- NOTHING -- like the book. Like you, I'd heard enough about both to pick it up. I got a little over halfway through, and like you, got bored. A lot of LDS people I know got totally offended and quit reading after "that one scene" in the middle where they all go to the bar or whatever. So many told me about it that by the time I read it, I laughed and said, "That was the big deal? That's why everyone was offended??" But later I just got bored and didn't finish it. The one thing that I did pull out partway through, though, was this thought: who was the first person who read this book and decided it would make the perfect family-friendly musical?
But I do love the musical.
Your goal is so much loftier than mine. I am planning on fulfilling mine by quite a few text books that I have to read this semester. Haha!
Thanks for posting about this, I love book notes.
Betsey, Thanks for being my favorite book recommender. I appreciate it very much. I have an extra ticket to the play Persuasion. Want to come?
I was told that Wicked the book was not worth reading, so I haven't bothered. BUT, I really think the musical has a lot of great messages and music! I'm with Janelle--how does a blah book become the launch pad for a great musical? Don't let the book keep you from seeing the show!
I have read 4 Maguire books, and have been disappointed in each of them. Don't continue. Although even as I type this I googled and saw he is writing a 4th book for the Wicked series and I am looking forward to it. Not because the story or writing are good but because, like you, I keep waiting for a satisfying finish.
I'm with you and Janelle on Wicked. I finished it, but barely. Never saw the play, but after reading the book, it makes me not sure that I want to do so. It was one of those books that was interesting in theory, but in reality just never took off in an interesting way. Still though, I'm impressed by all your reading!
this is so great! please keep reporting your books. I'm in a book club and we can always use more fodder ;-)
Hated Wicked!! UGH! What a waste of precious reading time!! :-) I still think about how fun your book exchange was. I can't wait to do that some time, but now all my books are on Kindle - so it might be a while. Love you !
My mother used to say, "We will have to wait until Camillle gets through reading the book she has now before we get a letter from her. I can hardly wait for more pictures in your blog. Love, Grandma C.
I really like Wicked (the book, that is). He has other books. If it was the political commentary of the book that you didn't like (that's what I've found most people don't like about the book) then he has a lighter book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister". Most people who haven't liked "Wicked" liked "Confessions" when I reccomended it. I think your goal is AWE-some. I'm in awe. And a little jealous.
Post a Comment