We had our rebroadcast of General Conference this weekend. Because of the time difference, we watch it a week later. Although, I usually sneak in and read a few of the talks on the internet before the actual weekend :) . It was a wonderful weekend, and I have (obviously) a lot to reflect upon, change and learn. I'm excited to review the talks again in the coming months.
We decided to watch the majority of the conference at the church, even though we could have stayed home and watched in on our computers. It is harder, no question about that, but I feel like I get more out of it that way. Maybe that stems from growing up and having to go to the church to watch conference, but I like it. I like the social aspect of watching conference with other members of our church.
We stayed at home on Saturday morning and ate yummy cinnamon rolls while we listened to the Saturday morning sessions. Sadly, Richard had to go to work after that, but we were happy he got to enjoy the morning with us. Nora, obviously, loved Sister Elaine S. Dalton's talk. Nora really loves Sister Dalton. We watched the General Young Women's meeting last year and this year together. Nora was sad to hear that Sister Dalton was released from her calling. I loved Sister Dalton's description of her mother's life, 92 years of quiet, diligent, obedience, even when her life didn't meet with her expectations. Her mother's motto in life was the scripture Doctrine and Covenants 82:10 , "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."
I think that we can relate to the hope that that scripture provides. We can hold onto that reassurance as we strive to do the things each day that will strengthen our home and families.
Sister Dalton talked about a return to virtue, "a pattern of thought and behavior based on high moral standards" I was reminded that I need to spend my discretionary time seeking virtuous things.
I also loved Sister Dalton's story about vacuuming the carpets in the conference center for three days straight in order to prepare the building for General Conference when it was first built. I love that she was willing to do something so seemingly insignificant or menial, but also retain the vision about why she was doing it. She was serving the Lord and preparing the building for the Lord's Prophet to speak to his children. It was for a greater good she did her work, something I think we can all remember when we are stuck doing the seemingly insignificant and menial work of life.
It was a great address and I will write more about other talks that I really enjoyed in the coming days and weeks. It was a fantastic General Conference.
We decided to watch the majority of the conference at the church, even though we could have stayed home and watched in on our computers. It is harder, no question about that, but I feel like I get more out of it that way. Maybe that stems from growing up and having to go to the church to watch conference, but I like it. I like the social aspect of watching conference with other members of our church.
We stayed at home on Saturday morning and ate yummy cinnamon rolls while we listened to the Saturday morning sessions. Sadly, Richard had to go to work after that, but we were happy he got to enjoy the morning with us. Nora, obviously, loved Sister Elaine S. Dalton's talk. Nora really loves Sister Dalton. We watched the General Young Women's meeting last year and this year together. Nora was sad to hear that Sister Dalton was released from her calling. I loved Sister Dalton's description of her mother's life, 92 years of quiet, diligent, obedience, even when her life didn't meet with her expectations. Her mother's motto in life was the scripture Doctrine and Covenants 82:10 , "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."
I think that we can relate to the hope that that scripture provides. We can hold onto that reassurance as we strive to do the things each day that will strengthen our home and families.
Sister Dalton talked about a return to virtue, "a pattern of thought and behavior based on high moral standards" I was reminded that I need to spend my discretionary time seeking virtuous things.
I also loved Sister Dalton's story about vacuuming the carpets in the conference center for three days straight in order to prepare the building for General Conference when it was first built. I love that she was willing to do something so seemingly insignificant or menial, but also retain the vision about why she was doing it. She was serving the Lord and preparing the building for the Lord's Prophet to speak to his children. It was for a greater good she did her work, something I think we can all remember when we are stuck doing the seemingly insignificant and menial work of life.
It was a great address and I will write more about other talks that I really enjoyed in the coming days and weeks. It was a fantastic General Conference.
2 comments:
Thanks for the comments Betsey! I really enjoyed Sister Dalton's talk too. The same things stuck out to me.
I also really loved that her husband wrote scriptures on the backs of the carpet. It tickled me to think of these faithful people so excited about acting out their part, no matter what it was--and making it personal and meaningful to them. And that the Lord turned around and brought that meaning back to them, full circle, as she stood and bore witness.
Anyway, Betsey, you're awesome. I miss you. Thank you for being so cool.
We had family in town and Sean worked all of conference weekend, so I watched it this weekend too--glad to know we were watching it at the same time! Loved your insights... sometimes I feel like all I am doing is "vacuuming carpets", but it is nice to know it is actually significant in the Lord's eyes. I also loved the thoughts on raising strong virtuous daughters. Thanks for posting about this! Love ya!
Post a Comment