Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back to Blogging

Well, I feel refreshed. After that LONG blogging break, I should feel rested, rejuvenated, and ready to resume reports on the most exciting lives of the members of Team Hawkins.


Richard and I are in St. George, Utah for the week and I have a goal of posting frequently. This is how I like to set my goals: vaguely. It lowers expectations. Only teasing here. I will post everyday for the rest of the week. Girls Scouts Honor. No mind that I never got any Girl Scout badges and only managed to sell cookies to my mom and dad.


I've had something on my mind for a while now and I wanted to hear your opinions on this subject. After having Nora, I cleaned out my closet very thoroughly. I did such a great job throwing away all my stained shirts, poor fitting pants, and ugly skirts that I ended up with two pairs of pants, one skirt and six blackt-shirts in my closet. Plus lots of sweat pants. It was time to go shopping.


The birth of Nora marks a new phase in my clothes requirements. No longer will I be leaving the house every morning in my business casual gear for work. High heels and skirts are now relegated to Sunday dress only. I want outfits that I can throw on quickly (during Nora's very quick cat naps...the subject of another post this week!), clothes that can be easily cleaned, and that look okay on my post-pregnancy body. I don't think this is to much to ask!


A few weeks ago, I was watching the reunion special for Project Runway and something that Michael Kors said really stuck with me. The designers asked him why he always wore the same outfit. He said that he most always wears dark jeans, a black t-shirt and black blazer because they look good on him and can be dressed down or dressed up for any occassion. This is what I am looking for! Something that I can throw on without thinking, that looks good on me, and can be appropriate for many occassions! I need a uniform!


I've talked to a few friends and family members about this idea. The most common concern is that I will be bored with the outfit and will want the variety in my wardrobe. I figured that I could develop one uniform for each season, thus preventing boredom. I could also accessorize with jewerly, purses, and maybe variety in colors of shirts. I just think it is really hard to find lots of different kinds of pants that fit and look good on me. I just want to find one pair, buy three of them and only wear those pants.


What do you think? Do you have a uniform that you wear everyday? Do you think you could wear the same outfit everyday? What do you other stay-at-home moms wear on a daily basis?


And just to have a picture on this post, here is Nora with her Aunt Margie. We saw her on Sunday and Monday in Las Vegas. She was staying at the Four Seasons...swanky!


9 comments:

Christopher Crall said...

I found a pair of shorts I really like, so I went and bought three pairs of them. Plus, I have four In 'N Out shirts. So, yeah, I think a uniform is a good idea.

Jenna said...

I loved this post as I have been struggling with this since Clare was born. I have clothes that I think will fit - but they are at the very very very back of the storage unit somewhere and I can't work up the umph necessary to go dig them out so - my uniform? one of my 20 or so pairs of old navy pajama pants and a t-shirt. I hope to someday be wearing real clothes again!!! :-)

Janelle said...

I will be dealing with this problem in a couple of months. My suggestion would be to go with sweaters. Sweaters can be casual with jeans, but dressy with khakis or black pants. Find one or two or three styles of sweater that you like and that look good, and buy them in several different colors each. You can also get heavier sweaters for Winter (you'll want them in Cleveland), and more lightweight ones for Spring and even Summer.

The Thomases said...

Hey Betsey, my only advice is to go with what the fashion experts consider the "staples" of any wardrobe. That way you'll always look great and you can mix and match without getting bored!

Nadia said...

First, I love your blog!!!! Second clothes is a huge dillema (can't spell it!).... at least in my wardroab. Here is what I came up with... if i don't wear something for one year, I try to get rid of it even if I still have hope to fit into it. Simply becasue by the time you fit into it, it goes out of style.
Third I now shop everywhere whenever I get to it even if it is a trip to Costco. Plus I keep myself motivated to shop because I know Jeremy deserves a prety wife and I love compliments ;-) okay i might be silly... but I am still a girl even if I am a mom, right?!

amy said...

betsey, i am going to be honest with you, i have been longing for a uniform for myself for as long as i can remember. my secret dream is for it to become socially acceptable for folks to go around in zip-up jumpsuits (think jiffy lube) instead of having to think about something so arguably inane as fashion. i have had my best luck in attempting uniform-style dress with locating one shirt and one pair of pants and/or one skirt and purchasing all available colors. i never get bored either, don't let them fool you, you won't either. if you do, buy a headband. but keep me posted on what you end up with--i am always open to suggestions.

aSHleY said...

Welcome Back to Blogger. I am happy you are back. I thought you always looked great in your old clothes. I am going to through a similar phase, I will let you know how it works out for me when I come up with my "uniform".

Nels, Drea, and Crew said...

Hey! I am glad you are back to blogging! I have been a really big slacker too. The clothes delema. I must say Nels has been very patient with me while we are out clothes shopping. After having Carter I tried on a million pairs of jeans. Then finally, I found a the beloved Wendi cut BKE's at the Buckle. I have bought every color they have. The frustrating part is trying to find that right pair. Hang in there it may take awhile, but you will find what you are looking for. Good Luck!

L said...

the uniform... I own three pairs of jeans from the Ann Taylor factory store, and a couple of pairs of khakis from the same place. And I have a v-neck t-shirt from target in every color. I also have a bunch of the boy-cut t-shirts from shade (to layer with the v-necks of course). That's pretty much what I wore all last summer. I'm still trying to get into the work wardrobe thing... *sigh* I miss being a grad student. Also, check out the Eddie Bauer factory store (the citadel has both EB and AT) for sweatshirts and sweaters and such.