Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Big Sister!

Last month, my mother bought Nora an adorable book called "I'm a Big Sister!" It's about a mom and dad who bring home a new baby brother and all of the exciting changes that follow. As with many books, once we read them a bunch of times to Nora, we like to substitute her name and stop mid-sentence and let her fill in the blanks. Here is what the book says, as written:

"Ellie used to be Mommy's and Daddy's little girl. But then the new baby came--and now Ellie was a big sister!"

Here is what happened when we read the book last week:

Richard: "Nora used to be Mommy's and Daddy's little girl. But then the new baby came--and now Nora was . . ."

Nora: "sad."

It was really so pathetic--she said the word "sad" in such a forlorn voice--but all Betsey and I could do was laugh. Good luck next year, Nora.

9 comments:

carol lee said...

Oh my gosh...I feel terrible! I thought the book would make Nora feel HAPPY. Boy, was I wrong.

So sorry,
Grandma Carol Lee

April Celeste Garff said...

Hopefully it won't be so sad when she sees how cute her little brother is!

Merry said...

Ha! That's so funny! Did she want a little sister instead? Or did she just want to be the only child?

amy said...

At least she is aware of her impending doom. When my brother was born, it threw me for a LOOP and I started peeing on the carpet (I was three and a half).

Good luck one and all :)

Rachel said...

This is absolutely hysterical!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's one smart kid you have there. Love you, Grandma C.

Anonymous said...

"sad"

WHat a crack up! That Nora is a HOOT!

Nadia said...

There are lots of books in hte library we pass by and do not open ;-) Here is one we love... Mr. Bear's New Baby by Debi Gliori. To prepare Sonia I made her new bedding, got her baby Dear and made bedding for her baby and our baby Feo. It worked like a charm... she loves her super soft blankie in her big bed and no grudges about Feo. Feo shares his soft blankie with Sonia but only at night time... he uses it during the day. She loves him!!! Me? perhapse most of the time but I much rather take the blame ;-) She had a few accidents when he was first born but it is because I didn't remind her about potty, now she is back to good potty habbits. Another issue the whole big sister vs. little brother... we skipped it by having Mama's little daugther and Mama's little son. Both get to be little ;-) I don't care as long as she puts her shoes on, clothes on and uses potty.. she can be little girl all along ;-) this is getting too long... good luck and I am sure Nora is going to love her new brother!!!!

Unknown said...

That Nora is so smart! That is a terrific story. If you don't tell her that one when she is 5 or 6, I will!

Someday I'd like to meet your friend Amy. Her comments crack me up. Please introduce us, Richie:)