We had two legs of our flight to Hong Kong. SLC to San Francisco and then SF to Hong Kong. When we checked in at SLC, they told us that they couldn't issue our boarding passes for our SF to HK flight. That we would need to go to the gate and that they would issue the passes there. We weren't all that concerned, but we did know that we only had an hour layover.
We arrived at SF and were misdirected to where we needed to go. Then, we were told that we had to go out of security, check in at the counter and go through security again. Ummm....are you kidding me? I almost gave up at this point. We had less than 45 minutes until our flight to HK was supposed to leave. Only because of Richard's encouragement and the good people at Cathay Pacific Airlines did we make our flight. We made it with 3 minutes until they closed the flight. Yuck! I never want to go through that again. It was incredibly frustrating and made me feel totally unprepared for the 13 1/2 hour flight ahead of us.
Thankfully, the children were angels and the flight attendants were amazing and we survived the flight! I only survived because of some delicious homemade cookies from Richard's sister Suzanne. She can make an amazing chocolate chip cookie. Nora survived because she got a big baggie full of Polly Pockets from her Grandma Carol Lee right before we left. Nora honestly played Polly Pockets for two straight hours of the flight. That is amazing for my 2 1/2 year old!
We arrived in Hong Kong at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday night, got to our hotel and attempted to put our children to bed. They slept from about 10 until 2 and then they were both up and ready for the day. Thankfully, I have the most amazing husband in the world and he hung out with the kids in the bathroom, watching episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while I slept. The next night was pretty similar, but thankfully they are both back on track and sleeping when they should be sleeping.
On Friday, we had a slow morning, even through it started really early. We got some breakfast, walked around the area where Richard is going to work (it is called Central) and then made our way to see some apartments in Kowloon (Kowloon is across the bay from Hong Kong. It is still part of Hong Kong, but isn't on the island). After viewing eight different apartments, Richard and I were feeling pretty overwhelmed and confused about what we were going to do. Our realtor dropped us off at our hotel and we collapsed.
My favorite part of being here so far is how much attention Calvin gets from everyone. People seem to love my baby. Old women, young people...Calvin is a favorite. He gets smiles and laughs and people stop us to touch his cute little feet. Calvin is taking it all in stride, but has gotten a bit overwhelmed. The first day we left our apartment, we walked out onto the busy street and Calvin just cried and cried! The streets of Hong Kong are just a little busier than those of Cleveland, Ohio :) I think he wasn't used to the sounds, smells and pace of the city. Nora on the other hand, is adjusting wonderfully. We just need to find where the toy stores are and she will be happy!
There is much more to report, but we are exhausted and need to get some sleep. More apartments to view tomorrow and I think we have figured out which one we are going to get! We will be sure to keep you all posted :)
18 comments:
How wonderful to hear about your great adventure. I feel for you and your jet lag funk. It's REAL and yucky. Kisses and hugs to all the Hong Kong Hawkins.
Loving all the details!! Keep us posted!
xo
I was right there with you in Hong Kong. It was fifty years ago when we were there. But we didn't have to find an apartment. We were on our way home. Love, Grandma C.
I just love you guys. That picture says it all!
Good luck apartment hunting and please keep posting- your saggitarian friends to experience adventure vicariously!
XO
I am so glad you made it! What a journey and awesome experience you are having! I am proud to know you and hope maybe to visit someday! By the way, the Chard gets major bonus points for watching Mickey Mouse with the kids in the bathroom at the hotel! :)
Wow! Poor kids and parents, having to deal with the jet lag! I hope things get better!
Oh, Betsey!! So glad you are there safely, and that you've probably found an apartment, and that you're almost done with jet lag... being done with those things will feel so good!
We've just passed our one-year anniversary of moving to Germany, and your post brings back many memories... however, I was seven months pregnant, and even though that was its own kind of adventure, I'm glad I got the moving-overseas part over before I had a little person to take care of too. (We're in the States now, heading home to Germany in November; she'll be 1 then, and I have a feeling that ride will be more of an adventure than any we've had yet.) And, you brave woman, China is not Europe!
Anyway... is it silly that I feel like you and I live closer to each other than we used to because we both live far away from everyone else? :)
Love the updates. Feels like you're just across the street instead of halfway across the world. Good luck with settling in and getting everything sorted out. That's the worst part of moving. Hope to see more posts soon!
Love it! Keep the blog posts coming! We are so glad you arrived safely! XOXO suz
Miss you guys! And love the post... keep 'em coming. lots of love!
playtime in the bathroom so you can sleep? Chard is the best. Wish I could be watching your apartment hunting on house hunters international. you should flip video it so we can pretend.
I love the picture of you all packed up and ready to go! And I can't even believe your layover nightmare! I would be huddled in the corner crying in a puddle of my own tears. What a crazy/frustrating way to start your long journey. Glad it all worked out in the end!
I'm so glad you made it and are starting to get settled. Good luck with everything!! I can only imagine how tired and overwhelmed you must feel (I don't think I posted for a month or more after we moved, and it was just across the country), but I am looking forward to more posts. I'm totally living adventurously through you. ;)
Also, I LOVED your pictures/posts about Ireland! What a beautiful place. I'm so glad you were able to go visit and thanks for sharing!
I can't believe that you are living in Hong Kong! I am so glad you made it safe and sound. Can't wait for more updates!
awesome! Good luck!
So exciting!! I'm glad you guys are getting settled and picked out your apartment already! Can't wait to see you guys in a year!
wow what an adventure! good luck finding a perfect apartment.
thinking about you and sending anti-stress vibes in your beautiful family's direction. you are ALL amazing and i am so proud to be called a friend. what a !great! adventure.
Congrats on your arrival! Hope all is still going well and you have had sleep by now.
Post a Comment