Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bird Market

A few weeks ago, we spent part of our Saturday at the Bird Market and Flower Market. The Bird Market was pretty wild. Rows upon rows of birds in cages. Loads of different types of birds, some of them were incredibly beautiful and some just looked like pigeons that you see on the street.

Nora really enjoyed it, but she has inherited her mother's fear of animals. I don't mind. I didn't take a picture of it, but there were lots of people with their birds out, on leashes. Some people were open to you petting their bird. I was not open to that.

You walk down a narrow path through the market, the stalls are full of birds and bird related supplies. the cages were particularly beautiful. The bird food was not so pretty. One of the first things we saw was a stall that sold live bird food. Bags of crickets, worms, even frogs. It was kind of gross.

Nora did ask for a bird to take home, but we distracted her and moved on. I found out later that you can buy fake birds at the market and get a cage for them. That is more up my alley.

See, the cages are really beautiful. They also have adorable little china bowls to put the food in. So cute!
Calvin and I were also there! Richard was the photographer and conveniently forgot to take a picture of himself on this steamy hot day.

By the way, of all the beautiful flowers at the flower market, Nora chose this lame little bouquet. But, because we are indulgent parents, we bought it for $2.50. I was so annoyed that I had to carry it around the rest of the day, but she really loved it. I guess I should be grateful that she didn't choose a really large and expensive bouquet that I had to carry around all day :).

4 comments:

Grandma C. said...

You live in such an interesting place. I wish we could have some of your heat (steamy hot!) as we are just coming into spring here--cool and overcast. Speaking of birds-- our black birds are back and are building nests in the pfitzer hedge east of the house. But we don't cage them.

Katie said...

I'll be honest - usually the kids dominate my smiles and favorite stories. This time, the winning line is "I was not open to that"!! Miss you guys tons!

L said...

I like the idea of a fake bird in a cage. All of the decorativeness, none of the noise or waste products. In my apartment in LA, I had a fake fish in a fishbowl for a while. I suspended it from invisible wire inside the bowl (no water). My roommate named him (or her, we never knew) Sponge Bob Blue. Basically, what I'm saying is, I totally down with inanimate pets.

Jacy said...

This is awesome! It feels very Hong Kong-esque. What cool things you get to do! I don't think we'd make it down one aisle, though, because my animal-loving Libby would NEED to pet each and every bird. Poor girl... Brian, Reeve, and I are much more your and Nora's style-- so NOT animal people! But it looks like a great place to see, as long as you don't have to take home a live souvenir. =)