Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April Reading

Continuing to read, but it was a lighter reading month. Here's hoping for a better May! I did finish the kids' "scrapbooks" this month, a goal that has been hanging over my head for a long time. By scrapbooks, I mean iPhoto books. I'm not creative enough to figure out how to place things. I just drag and drop pictures, and it turns out a LOT better than what I could do by myself.


Here is the links to what I read in
January
February
March


22. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


I really enjoyed this book and think that you all should read it. It had a great balance of science and history coupled with a very interesting story. The author did an excellent job researching and providing facts, but also told the story of Henrietta Lacks and her family incredibly well. Henrietta Lacks was a woman from Baltimore who died of cancer in 1951. Without her knowledge and permission, her cells were harvested and became the basis of countless breakthroughs in science and medicine. While her cells were helping thousands, her own family struggled through poverty and health problems, never knowing what Henrietta's cells were accomplishing. When the family members finally hear that their mother's cells are alive, they are confused, proud and frightened. Skloot helps the family understand the role their mother plays in scientific history, while also providing information about who Henrietta Lacks was. One of my favorite books this year.


23. Bossypants by Tina Fey


I read this after reading the Immortal Life and it was just what I needed. A hilarious, easy read. I was laughing out loud from page one. Richard said he liked watching me read this book, because I was chuckling and laughing throughout most of it. If you even remotely like Tina Fey, then you should read this. She has the self-depricating humor that I love, without going too far. She realizes that she has a great life and you don't walk away feeling sorry for her. I finished this book thinking that I want Tina Fey to be my best friend.


24. The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman


I was looking for a parenting book, but I was lured in by this title and a couple of reviews of this that I read on amazon.com. I feel like I often need reminders about how to be the best Betsey that I can be. Especially with my marriage. I liked his really practical and hands-on tips for improving your marriage. There was enough anecdotal stuff to be interesting and helpful, but not so much that you are rolling your eyes. I can tell that I will go back to this book and review some of these chapters frequently. At least Richard hopes that I will.


25. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy


I really enjoyed this and was glad that I picked it up. I had read McCarthy's The Road a few years ago, and was really saddened by it. I had been hesitant to read anything else by him. I enjoy a sad story, but really...The Road was rough for me. Anyway, I loved the simplicity of this story. Two 16-year-old boys set out from Texas to Mexico. They are running away from home, and looking for work. I love the relationship between the two boys. I love the lyrical writing. I love the discussion of horses and felt like I wanted to learn to ride afterwards. I loved the love story and the drama that unfolded surrounding the forbidden romance. I was sad to see the book end and wished I could have ridden on with John Grady Cole.

5 comments:

Karolyn said...

I just read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks as well, and enjoyed it. I've been wanting to get the Tina Fey book, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm reading True Grit right now, and it's pretty enjoyable. I love your book ideas. Will you guys come and live in Chicago after Hong Kong? I think you would really love it.

April Celeste Garff said...

Love hearing your book reviews. One of these days I will get to read again and love coming back to your blog for sources of reading inspiration. Happy reading!

Jessica said...

Betsey this is such a cool project, and I am so glad you are sharing your reviews! At night when I sit down and start debating between t.v. and reading I think of your project and it inspires me to grab my book instead of my remote.

Jenna said...

My favorite part of Bossypants was the "prayer for my daughter" part. I really thought I might pee. So. funny!!! :-) Chris and I actually wondered out loud if you'd read it yet - we remembered that you were a Fey fan like me! :-)

angelalois said...

You amaze me, you do. Where is May's list? and June is almost over! Bossypants in our next book club read. We just did the lighter-yet-high-body-count Hunger Games (just book 1) but I went ahead and read 2 & 3 afterwards. Love reading your reviews.