Thanksgiving is a bit bittersweet to me because it (obviously) isn't a holiday here in Hong Kong. Everyone in the US is enjoying a couple of days off and some time with dear friends and family. We are so grateful for our wonderful friends here and will be celebrating tomorrow with a few of them. We have made such wonderful friends here, but I do wish that we could be with family as well.
I do have such a thankful heart this year. It has been a very good year in my book. A lot of people have been posting on Facebook things they are grateful for each day. I thought I would just get it all done in one go.
30 Things I am Grateful for Today
1. Richard John Hawkins. The kindest man I have ever met. His generosity and gentleness are limitless. And believe me, I've tested the limits.
2. Eleanor Iris Hawkins. Her soft curly hair. The way she does a funny dance when she is excited. That she gets a little shy when she meets new kids. Her love of pretend and coloring. She is joy.
3. Calvin Edward Hawkins. My golden boy. I'm grateful (mostly) how he cries for me when I leave. How excited he gets to go to the park. His sweet little lisp. His giggle when we wrestle. He just shines.
4. My Gimbel Family. The loud laugh. The crazy dancing. The sarcasm. The delicious cookies and fattening treats. Sitting around the island in my parent's kitchen with all my siblings remains one of my favorite places in the world.
5. My Hawkins Family. The love for one another knows no bounds. One of the things I learned early in my relationship with Richard. I had to pass the sister test. I'm so glad that they love me. I love them and so much from them.
6. Ed and Claudia (my parents). Sitting next to my mom at church and snuggling into her arm. Getting cards from my dad while I was in college. Waiting in the Fort Wayne, Indiana Airport with them to leave for Ireland for 18 months. I've always felt loved. What a rare and blessed gift.
7. Carol Lee and John. Richard obviously learned well from his generous and gentle parents. They are the ultimate teachers. Always teaching with love and kindness. I want to be like them when I grow up.
8. My Faith. I'm a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.
9. Hong Kong. It's such a dichotomy. It's my city, but I'm an outsider. It's so clean and pristine, yet can be just disgusting and full of yuck. There is so much delicious food and also such disgusting things. The people are so kind, but don't mince words and aren't afraid to tell it straight. I've loved how I've learned so much while living here.
10. Growing up in Indiana. The fall has made me miss my Hoosier state. I am longing for the light across the fields as the sun sets. The quiet of my sleepy little town.
11. Learning and Education. I've been blessed to be able to go to college and work towards formal degrees. I do hope that once I am done with this LAST degree, that I will continue to strive to learn and stretch that part of myself.
12. Utah. Where I went to college, developed a love for and understanding of my faith, where I met so many amazing people, my husband and where I was married. It's part of my cultural heritage, but also part of my story.
13. Los Angeles. Where I learned to work, to listen, to be a wife and where I became a mother. I even grew to love the commute from West LA to USC because I got to listen to my favorite NPR station KCRW.
14. The Cleve'. I'm grateful for those cold winter nights watching the snow fall out my window while I rocked my baby to sleep. It was such a sweet time in our lives, full but also simple and gentle.
15. I'm grateful for running and all that I've learned this year that I've spent more time devoted to that hobby. I've learned that I am powerful and strong. I've felt my body grow stronger and it has made me feel stronger inside. I am grateful for that time to think and reflect.
16. The internet. I know it is silly, but I'm so glad that we have this technology that allows me to keep in touch so much faster with friends and family. Carol Lee told us a story recently about when they lived in Guatemala in the mid 1970's. Her father had had a heart attack and she didn't find out about it until 5 days later when a letter arrived. Then, they had to travel to the bigger city to send a telegraph and wait for 4 more hours until they received a reply about how he was doing. Now, I can send a text to my family and get a reply back in seconds.
17. Traveling. I love the opportunities that I have had in my life to travel. When we were running the 1/2 marathon in Cambodia last year, running through the ruins at Angkor Wat, I just kept thinking, "I'm a small town girl from Indiana, and I get to see this!!" I'm amazed at all the opportunities to travel that we have had and am so grateful to see the world with my family.
18. Simple pleasures. A fountain drink, Coke Zero from McDonalds. Freshly painted finger nails. Walking up to the bus stop as your bus pulls up. Fresh sheets. Delicious cheese.
19. The people who teach my children. I'm so amazed at all that my children learn from other people. From their primary teachers, to school teachers, to our nanny and their play group leaders. So many people interact with my kids each day and love them and help them grow. I'm so grateful that I'm not doing this alone and that I have a supportive community.
20. Food! I love preparing it and eating it and serving it. I love having people over for Sunday dinner and trying out new recipes. I love simple easy food (a good PB&J is amazing!) and I love a wonderful dinner out at a Michelin star restaurant.
21. Pictures. I love going through old photos and remembering specific times of my life. I just wish that I had been better about taking photos when I was younger.
22. Friends. I am so blessed with the friends I have had throughout my life. I've learned so much about how to serve and love from their examples. There are countless events and moments that come to mind. People who have listened to me complain. People who have helped me clean my house. People who have baked me cakes. People who delight when I am happy and cry when I am sad. I have the best friends in the world. I'm sure of it.
23. Grandparents. Although I didn't know my grandparents very well, I've learned what a blessing they can be in your life through the Hawkins family. I'm so happy to have Grandma Camille and Grandpa Bill and to learn from them and to feel their love for us. I love their stories and their example of service.
24. Institute. I attend a weekly religious studies class about my faith and I love it. It is a group of 10-15 women, mostly in their late 40's early 50's who regularly attend. I love learning from these women who have been where I have and are so reassuring, helpful, strong and kind. I love talking about issues of faith, learning about the ministry of Jesus Christ with other women. It is always a highlight of my week.
25. Living in Hong Kong (aka, China light) has made me grateful for all the freedoms we enjoy in the US. Learning more about life in the PRC has taught me how much I benefit each day from being born in and living in a democratic republic with elected officials. It is an incredible gift that really does bless our lives daily.
26. Traveling home to the US for Christmas. I'm so very excited to spend Christmas in the US this year. I haven't been to the US for 16 months and that is a long time! We are leaving in just 20 short days. I'm obviously counting down. Hooray for the blessing of travel!
27. Richard really deserves another one here. I'm so grateful that Richard has good employment that has allowed us to pay off student loans, live in this amazing city, travel all over the world and save as well. I'm so impressed by his incredible work ethic. His determination to succeed. And his really really smart brain.
28. Reading. Although I haven't read nearly as much in 2012 as I did in 2011 (I blame graduate school), I really do love the chance I get to expand my mind through reading. I love a good book.
29. I'm grateful that I get to be a mom. It is another dichotomy. Exhausting and fulfilling. Frustrating and peaceful. Soft hugs and wet kisses and then someone head butts you. It is a physical, emotional, mental roller coaster that I can't wait to get on each morning.
30. Music. I used to spend a lot of time and energy finding new music I loved. I don't have as much time to do that, but I love when I do get a chance to listen to something new, challenging and beautiful. It makes me happy. I listened to this today and just loved it. And this.
I do have such a thankful heart this year. It has been a very good year in my book. A lot of people have been posting on Facebook things they are grateful for each day. I thought I would just get it all done in one go.
30 Things I am Grateful for Today
1. Richard John Hawkins. The kindest man I have ever met. His generosity and gentleness are limitless. And believe me, I've tested the limits.
2. Eleanor Iris Hawkins. Her soft curly hair. The way she does a funny dance when she is excited. That she gets a little shy when she meets new kids. Her love of pretend and coloring. She is joy.
3. Calvin Edward Hawkins. My golden boy. I'm grateful (mostly) how he cries for me when I leave. How excited he gets to go to the park. His sweet little lisp. His giggle when we wrestle. He just shines.
4. My Gimbel Family. The loud laugh. The crazy dancing. The sarcasm. The delicious cookies and fattening treats. Sitting around the island in my parent's kitchen with all my siblings remains one of my favorite places in the world.
5. My Hawkins Family. The love for one another knows no bounds. One of the things I learned early in my relationship with Richard. I had to pass the sister test. I'm so glad that they love me. I love them and so much from them.
6. Ed and Claudia (my parents). Sitting next to my mom at church and snuggling into her arm. Getting cards from my dad while I was in college. Waiting in the Fort Wayne, Indiana Airport with them to leave for Ireland for 18 months. I've always felt loved. What a rare and blessed gift.
7. Carol Lee and John. Richard obviously learned well from his generous and gentle parents. They are the ultimate teachers. Always teaching with love and kindness. I want to be like them when I grow up.
8. My Faith. I'm a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.
9. Hong Kong. It's such a dichotomy. It's my city, but I'm an outsider. It's so clean and pristine, yet can be just disgusting and full of yuck. There is so much delicious food and also such disgusting things. The people are so kind, but don't mince words and aren't afraid to tell it straight. I've loved how I've learned so much while living here.
10. Growing up in Indiana. The fall has made me miss my Hoosier state. I am longing for the light across the fields as the sun sets. The quiet of my sleepy little town.
11. Learning and Education. I've been blessed to be able to go to college and work towards formal degrees. I do hope that once I am done with this LAST degree, that I will continue to strive to learn and stretch that part of myself.
12. Utah. Where I went to college, developed a love for and understanding of my faith, where I met so many amazing people, my husband and where I was married. It's part of my cultural heritage, but also part of my story.
13. Los Angeles. Where I learned to work, to listen, to be a wife and where I became a mother. I even grew to love the commute from West LA to USC because I got to listen to my favorite NPR station KCRW.
14. The Cleve'. I'm grateful for those cold winter nights watching the snow fall out my window while I rocked my baby to sleep. It was such a sweet time in our lives, full but also simple and gentle.
15. I'm grateful for running and all that I've learned this year that I've spent more time devoted to that hobby. I've learned that I am powerful and strong. I've felt my body grow stronger and it has made me feel stronger inside. I am grateful for that time to think and reflect.
16. The internet. I know it is silly, but I'm so glad that we have this technology that allows me to keep in touch so much faster with friends and family. Carol Lee told us a story recently about when they lived in Guatemala in the mid 1970's. Her father had had a heart attack and she didn't find out about it until 5 days later when a letter arrived. Then, they had to travel to the bigger city to send a telegraph and wait for 4 more hours until they received a reply about how he was doing. Now, I can send a text to my family and get a reply back in seconds.
17. Traveling. I love the opportunities that I have had in my life to travel. When we were running the 1/2 marathon in Cambodia last year, running through the ruins at Angkor Wat, I just kept thinking, "I'm a small town girl from Indiana, and I get to see this!!" I'm amazed at all the opportunities to travel that we have had and am so grateful to see the world with my family.
18. Simple pleasures. A fountain drink, Coke Zero from McDonalds. Freshly painted finger nails. Walking up to the bus stop as your bus pulls up. Fresh sheets. Delicious cheese.
19. The people who teach my children. I'm so amazed at all that my children learn from other people. From their primary teachers, to school teachers, to our nanny and their play group leaders. So many people interact with my kids each day and love them and help them grow. I'm so grateful that I'm not doing this alone and that I have a supportive community.
20. Food! I love preparing it and eating it and serving it. I love having people over for Sunday dinner and trying out new recipes. I love simple easy food (a good PB&J is amazing!) and I love a wonderful dinner out at a Michelin star restaurant.
21. Pictures. I love going through old photos and remembering specific times of my life. I just wish that I had been better about taking photos when I was younger.
22. Friends. I am so blessed with the friends I have had throughout my life. I've learned so much about how to serve and love from their examples. There are countless events and moments that come to mind. People who have listened to me complain. People who have helped me clean my house. People who have baked me cakes. People who delight when I am happy and cry when I am sad. I have the best friends in the world. I'm sure of it.
23. Grandparents. Although I didn't know my grandparents very well, I've learned what a blessing they can be in your life through the Hawkins family. I'm so happy to have Grandma Camille and Grandpa Bill and to learn from them and to feel their love for us. I love their stories and their example of service.
24. Institute. I attend a weekly religious studies class about my faith and I love it. It is a group of 10-15 women, mostly in their late 40's early 50's who regularly attend. I love learning from these women who have been where I have and are so reassuring, helpful, strong and kind. I love talking about issues of faith, learning about the ministry of Jesus Christ with other women. It is always a highlight of my week.
25. Living in Hong Kong (aka, China light) has made me grateful for all the freedoms we enjoy in the US. Learning more about life in the PRC has taught me how much I benefit each day from being born in and living in a democratic republic with elected officials. It is an incredible gift that really does bless our lives daily.
26. Traveling home to the US for Christmas. I'm so very excited to spend Christmas in the US this year. I haven't been to the US for 16 months and that is a long time! We are leaving in just 20 short days. I'm obviously counting down. Hooray for the blessing of travel!
27. Richard really deserves another one here. I'm so grateful that Richard has good employment that has allowed us to pay off student loans, live in this amazing city, travel all over the world and save as well. I'm so impressed by his incredible work ethic. His determination to succeed. And his really really smart brain.
28. Reading. Although I haven't read nearly as much in 2012 as I did in 2011 (I blame graduate school), I really do love the chance I get to expand my mind through reading. I love a good book.
29. I'm grateful that I get to be a mom. It is another dichotomy. Exhausting and fulfilling. Frustrating and peaceful. Soft hugs and wet kisses and then someone head butts you. It is a physical, emotional, mental roller coaster that I can't wait to get on each morning.
30. Music. I used to spend a lot of time and energy finding new music I loved. I don't have as much time to do that, but I love when I do get a chance to listen to something new, challenging and beautiful. It makes me happy. I listened to this today and just loved it. And this.
6 comments:
Oh Betsey! Your "Thankful Heart" is so beautiful and definitely from your heart. Thank you for sharing your life and your children with us.
Thank you for the lovely thoughts, Betsey! We are very grateful for the chance we had to be your friends (HAVE I should say; you're still our friends :D). I learned so much from you during our relatively short time together in Cleveland. We miss you guys. I wish our kids could grow up together.
I loved reading this! You are one of my heroes. Seriously.
Love you!
Rachel
This is fabulous Betsey! You are inspiring me to do the same.
I loved this post and it made me think about the many things that I am grateful for. Thanks for sharing.
this is a beautiful beautiful beautiful post and I loved reading it. thanks for posting.
Post a Comment