Saturday, October 9, 2010

Urban Momma

Okay, so I lied about taking my camera out and getting some pictures. I have an excuse. Really, it is a good one. Okay, you ready for it? I realized that taking out my camera would mean taking one more thing out with me. And with two kids, one stroller, a purse, and a diaper bag (a full diaper bag, I might add), I thought that adding in a camera was asking too much. I know that I do need to take some pictures. And based upon this week, I don't think it is realistic that Richard is going to be there to take pictures for us. I'll work up to it, okay?

So, this week was my trial run of being an urban mom. An urban mom on my own. It was a little daunting. When we first got here, Richard was with me and we got to explore together. It was challenging even then and I felt these periodic waves of panic as I counted down the days until he started work. I knew that I couldn't sit in this tiny apartment all day by myself, but I couldn't imagine going out on my own.

We started small. Monday, I went to the grocery store. It is less than 2 blocks away. But it was still a challenge. For several reasons.

1. It is TINY. Like, the size of a convenience store. Two people in an aisle make it seem full.
2. In addition, the check out area is TINY. I had my single Maclaren stroller, and it barely made it through the area between the check out lanes.
3. I have two unpredictable children.
4. It is down a flight of stairs. Which requires unpredictable Nora walking down the stairs while I carry the stroller, the diaper bag, my purse and Calvin (who is thankfully strapped to my chest, oh how I love you Ergo baby carrier!).
5. After walking down the stairs, you must go through a turnstile. A TINY turnstile. Which isn't easy while holding Calvin, a diaper bag, a purse, a stroller and making sure that unpredictable Nora makes it through as well.
6. All the while, there are people waiting for me. Because Hong Kong has 7 million people living in the city. And they all seem to want to go to The Wellcome supermarket at the same time as me :).
7. I am completely unfamiliar with a lot of the products on the shelves. So, instead of a quick shop grabbing my regular items, I have to see what they have, and what they don't have and if there are any possible substitutions.

Therefore, I felt pretty excited that we came back from the grocery store on Monday virtually unscathed (although, I think my hair has become even more gray). I've tried to do a little bit more everyday. Tuesday, I got on the MTR (the subway) by myself with the kids and on Thursday, I went to a part of the city that I don't know very well. Friday, I took the kids to Disneyland on the MTR and today, we went to two sessions of General Conference by ourselves as well. (I know I can listen to it online, I just like to be at the church for conference. I pay more attention :)..)

Needless to say, after putting the kids to bed every night, I'm exhausted! Doing new things is hard. But I keep telling myself, people do have children in Hong Kong! Every time I see another mom carting around her children, I feel excited and happy. I think to myself, she is doing it, and so can you! Getting used to a any new city is hard, I just think that Hong Kong may take some extra time and effort to get used to!

(P.S., Richard usually edits my posts before I post them. Because he is so busy, he isn't going to edit this. The secret is out, I'm a horrible writer. Sorry. :)....)

12 comments:

Bryn Stucki said...

Hong Kong makes Chicago seem like the middle of nowhere! You are very brave!So did you find any food that was normal? That's my main concern when I go somewhere new. And you are a wonderful, entertaining writer even without Richard editing. Good luck!

Jen said...

You're doing great, Betsy! Keep up the good work.

Karolyn said...

You are amazing, and you're doing such a good job. I think that's great that you'll do a little bit more one week at a time. I love reading your posts, so don't worry about needing Richard to edit.

Anonymous said...

Your writing is great. My difficulty with the challenge of a new city was trying not to make the same mistake twice. Beirut, Lebanon was a whole new challenge in grocery shopping after living next to a PX in Germany. Keep trying. It gets easier in time. Love, Grandma C.

Unknown said...

You're doing great! Just don't resort to putting your kids on leashes (like my Mom did with me) Though honestly, I probably really did need one:)

Unknown said...

I can't imagine carrying all of that stuff down the stairs...SERIOUSLY.....you do what you gotta do when you're a mom, right? Good job having such a positive attitude, I know things will get easier and you'll be able to have LOTS AND LOTS of experiences---LOVE YOU!!!

Unknown said...

Betsey, you're amazing!! I'm so incredibly proud of you and think your "baby steps" are huge steps!

Know we love you and pray for you and your little clan each night.

Popi and CeCe said...

What an amazing adventure!! You are BRAVE!! (A tip if you want--lose the purse: put your ID, metro card,credit card and $20 [local currancy] in your pocket; lose the stroller--go with the backpack and make Nora carry the diaper bag . . .LOL!) Cheryl {yeah--Jacy's Mom}

Anonymous said...

oh man, i'm exhausted just reading your post! you are an amazing momma!!!

what i am wondering is: how did you make it back UP the stairs with all that stuff AND groceries??? :)

- angela

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I can't even imagine how Hong Kong has complicated, even further, the art of taking children to the grocery store! I'm in awe and can only imagine how many moms over there are completely inspired by you!!! I can't wait to hear all of your adventures!

Margie and Brandon said...

Happy Birthday to the 'Chard. I'm expecting a birthday post soon! Much Love, M

Karen Liu said...

Betsey,
Girlfriend, I am so proud of you! You are AMAZING! Quite the adventurous spirit, undaunted by challenges and inspirational to me. I cannot help but laugh as I read your Wellcome market experience. When we were there in July scouting for schools, I felt completely overwhelmed by the crowded stores and the packed MTR, thinking, how am I going to live here with my 3 small kids and get around?? Thank you, thank you for showing me that it can be done...with a great attitude.

Can't wait to see pictures and read more about your adventures.

Much love,
The McGees