Since moving here to Hong Kong, I've been in a bit of a slump with what I'm cooking. There are several reasons.
1. I'm mostly just cooking for me and the kids. Calvin's diet is still limited to pureed or mashed foods and Nora isn't the most brave eater (she picked out the peppers, onions and tomatoes from dinner tonight).
2. I'm still don't know exactly what I can get here and what I can't . Actually, it is more like I don't know what I can get here and I don't know what I can get here only if I am willing to pay a small fortune. I spent $12 the other day on maple syrup because I thought that pancakes would be an easy dinner. Not really something I like doing.
3. I don't have an oven.
4. I'm lazy (see number one). Although Richard will eat the leftovers that I cook, it isn't really fun to spend the effort cooking for basically just me. Plus, some of the joy of cooking is diminished when you have to wrangle two crazy kids while doing it.
5. I don't have a dishwasher. Seriously, I grew up without a dishwasher, so you would think that I could handle this. I've become spoiled in my old age. I really dislike doing the dishes and it takes FOREVER! Seriously, we at breakfast and dinner here today, and took me about 45 minutes to clean up the kitchen tonight. Plus, the hot water in my kitchen is a little spotty. I'm not sure why because we have those instant hot water heaters, and they work amazing in the bathrooms. So, I'm doing the dishes in water that is mostly cold, with periodic spurts of hot. I don't know why, but that irritates me!
Now that you know why I'm not enjoying cooking very much here. So, what am I going to do about it.
First, I bought a portable oven! I'm so excited to try this out. It is going to be delivered tomorrow! And yes, I decided to pay for the delivery rather than schlep it home myself. I've learned my lesson.
Second, I've decided to try and be more adventurous in my cooking. Namely, I'm going to try a new recipe of local Chinese food every week. I'll be sure to take pictures and tell you all about it. We'll see how this pans out!
10 comments:
My suggestion ... hire your maid/cook/nanny! Think that would solve all of the above problems. Plus I want your new maid/cook/nanny to take me to the local markets in January when I'm here and then teach me to cook some wild Chinese dishes in your funny kitchen!!!
Excellent idea! I love Chinese food from my semester abroad there, but I can never find anything quite the same as what I liked over there. And I didn't have a kitchen, so I never learned how to cook any of it.
I'm like you. I hate to cook when John isn't going to be home for dinner, and my kids are older than yours. I don't like to cook for myself, so we end up doing canned soup, pancakes or grilled cheese--things my kids will like without complaining. I'm so glad you're getting an over. Good luck with your new recipes too.
way to make lemonade out of lemons:)
we cooked in a sun oven again today:)
You're so good. I don't know what I'd do in that situation. Probably blow my whole food budget and go out to eat for every meal. And, by the by, you can make your own maple syrup. It's super easy and not $12. One cup sugar for every 2 cups of water, heat it until the sugar dissolves and add maple flavoring. It's not as thick as store bought, but I like it runnier.
Congrats on the new oven! Can't wait to see your new recipes. Let's swap recipes once I get out to Shanghai.
You're amazing! Hang in there! I second Carol Lee's idea-hire help!!!
You're amazing! Hang in there! I second Carol Lee's idea-hire help!!!
Awesome! With Chinese food, all your really need is a wok (or pan) and something to stir with. It's real simple and you can cater it to picky eaters or make it as glamorous as you like. Maybe we could cook together when we come visit you!
Or, like the above suggestion...hire a cook! Problem solved. :-)
hahaha...I thought I had it bad...no oven, that is crazy. I hope things have been better since this post.
Post a Comment