Monday, November 29, 2010

Gratitude

We had a pretty low key Thanksgiving this year. When Thursday rolled around, I was feeling pretty blue. I wanted to be at home, in my parents kitchen, watching my mom roll out pie crusts. Listening to Joni Mitchell and laughing with my siblings. I wanted to be wearing a sweater, fuzzy slippers and sweat pants. I talked to my family on our Friday morning (Thursday late afternoon in Indiana) and could just feel that warm Thanksgiving feeling. Full tummy, full heart....just happy. But, I wasn't there. Even though it is a blessing to be able to talk and to see them, I wanted to be there! But, we weren't and I started to let myself feel sad and blue about it. Of course, it didn't help that Richard worked so much over the last week. Richard balances me and helps me keep my irrational thoughts at bay. When he isn't around, I have a tendancy to wallow a bit more than necessary. I love it here, but it can be just so hard!

After talking to Richard, praying and having a wonderful dinner with great friends on Sunday, I am feeling more like myself and more grateful for all that I have. Even when I do feel blue, it is hard not to recognize all that I have been blessed with.

As I refocused on gratitude, I keep thinking of something that Richard wrote down in a letter home from his mission. Richard wrote down a quote that he heard in the MTC from President Eyring, something along the lines of, It is a good day that requires the Lord's help to get you through. That is what I am most grateful for. That I know the Lord will help me through each day. Not just to endure trials, but to learn to enjoy each day and be grateful. Because it is a good day that requires us to apply the atonement in our lives, repent, change and move forward. I am happy and blessed.

Thank you for your friendship and love. I am rich with good friends. Thanks for being one of them.


9 comments:

Merry said...

Thanks for sharing this idea! It IS a good day when we have to rely on the Savior, or realize that we have to. It builds our testimonies and makes us grateful that he is there to rely on.

belle black said...

Betsey, I think you're amazing. Moving to a new place is a challenge. Moving to a foreign country without family has to be tough! Just want you to know we're supporting you and cheering you on. ;) Nora and Calvin will have such rich life experiences hanks to their fearless parents. :)

Katie said...

Bestey, you have a way with words that makes me laugh out loud and make my eyes well up at the same time. You're strong (you recognize when you're down) and wise (you know the best way to pick yourself up). It can't be easy being so far away, but I can't imagine a family stronger than yours to handle it. Miss you all!!

Jen said...

Betsey you are amazing to be able to move all the way to China!! I feel your loneliness sometimes, It is wonderful to be able to be near family, and sad when you can't just visit anytime you want. You are so strong and I have always admired your positive attitude

Kate said...

Thanks for that thought. It's one I think I'm going to remember.

We miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

God bless you. You are a wonderful family. Grandma C.

Tiffany Feger said...

i love you betsey!!

Margie and Brandon said...

I love you so much, my sweet sister. You are amazing and I'm so so thankful that you're MY sister. I can't even tell you. Great post and I look forward to actually talking to you live one of these days. Much Love, M

Nicole Crabtree (Ranks) said...

Betsey, I know you don't really know me at all. My name is Nicole and I was one of Richards friends from High School. I have been following your blog and I LOVE how honest you are about everything. We have lived away from family (not nearly as far as you have), but I know what you mean about it being hard. I know that the Lord has brought you and your family over there for a reason and you and Richard are and will touch lives there. It's okay to feel blue and it's great you feel comfortable to write about it, especially since this is probably your only outlet aside from Richard. We have all been there and we will all keep you in our prayers that your spirits will continue to be lifted. In the mean time know that your post lifted me and help to keep my mind focused today. Thank you!