Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Highs and Lows

Being a stay-at-home-mom is an incredibly rewarding experience. I try to remind myself of that fact repeatedly during the day. There are such amazing highs and then, there are the lows. Really, really low parenting moments where you know that what is happening is a great teaching moment, and an opportunity to nurture, and is making you feel like you want to run out the door and never return to these crazy devil children. Would you like to hear some examples from my day? Okay! Let's start with a high.

HIGH
Nora loves to read. I mean LOVES. She adores her books, particularly the Fancy Nancy series by Jane O'Connor. She has started role-playing some of the events in the book and wanted to go to the art supply store (like Nancy) to get supplies to make the cover of a book report (like Nancy). It was adorable and I love that she is developing a love of reading. I'll have to take a picture of her book report cover.

LOW
While painting her book report cover this morning, I told Nora that she could use only three colors. We had three paint brushes, so I thought that three colors would be enough. Oh my...she was not pleased and was not afraid to let me know. Her new favorite phrase when she is angry is to say, "You are NOT my friend!" During time out, she has also angerly yelled at me, "You're a jam sandwich!" That was actually kind of funny. I don't know where that comes from. And of course, during this episode, Calvin is crying and crawling after me, tears and snot running down his face. Sad boy!

HIGH
During this month, we created a "Thankful Wall," where everyone in the family lists one thing they are thankful for each day. I'll take a picture of my incredibly creative wall and show you :)... Anyway, here are the things that Nora has been grateful for
November 1: Daddy
November 2: Mommy
November 3: Jesus.
Honestly, that was without any prompting by me. I was so happy (and only a little sad that I was number 2 to daddy. :)...) and proud of her.

LOW
Everytime...and I mean EVERYTIME after Nora uses the bathroom, she throws a FIT about washing her hands. She tries to negotiate and get out of washing her hands. She will say, I didn't touch the potty mommy, I don't have to wash my hands. Ummm...sweety this is not a negotiable thing! You HAVE to wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Seriously, it drives me insane that we have this struggle every. single. time she uses the bathroom. I have found some success recently by offering a little horsey ride on my back around the apartment afterwards. But seriously, I'm not expecting my 3 year old to have incredible hygiene, but hand washing is essential. I guess I should be grateful that she is (basically) potty-trained, but my goodness...I dread that battle every time.

Phew! I feel better. A little unloading of the good and bad in my life right now, makes me feel great. And, it reminds me that the good is so much better than those bad moments.


4 comments:

Merry said...

Thanks for this dose of reality! As Dave and I get closer to thinking about having kids, it's good to remember that it's not all going to be fun and games and cute things, although there will be a good portion of that! Good luck!

Rachel said...

I love it!!!

a gimbel said...

Betsey, I wish I could be there to laugh and cry with you. I miss you more than I can say.

Since you know me so well, you will be able to laugh when I tell you that in just a few short years, you will no longer remember any of the lows, and you will look back using my rose-colored glasses and emphatically declare those were the happiest times (sound familiar?)

I miss you. I miss being a mom of little children.

Love, Claudia

Anonymous said...

Yes, enjoy the good, it is what you will remember most and the bad is growing up time for all three of you. Thank you for sharing both. Is Nora old enough now to have a few hours a week in a nursery class? Is such a thing available to you? Are there other children her age in the building? Love, Grandma C.