Sunday, August 28, 2011

So Far Behind!

How did it happen that I didn't blog for over 2 months?!?! We've done so many fun things, I don't even know where to begin. First, I start with telling you what I've read in the months of May, June, July and August. It has been slim in the reading department. In part because we were on vacation. I also took a class for my masters program and I just haven't been feeling like reading as much. I need to refocus if I am going to reach my goal of 52 books this year!

May

26. The Adventures of Sally by P.G. Wodehouse
This was a charming novel. Very British and gentle, which I enjoyed. My friend, Laura had recommended P.G. Wodehouse and I was not disappointed. I'm going to read more, specifically the Wooster and Jeeves series. This might actually be a short story, but I'm counting it :).

27. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
What beautiful and descriptive writing! I loved it, but it was depressing! I still feel weighted down by the ending. Beautiful and tragic. I'm glad I read it.

June

NOTHING! Yikes, that is going to hurt me in the end!

July

I re-read four of the Harry Potter Books. I read six of the seven books, but never got around to finishing the series! I know, isn't that horrible! So, I decided to finish it up this year. I remember last time I read them, I got bogged down in book 5 and I am having the same problem again. Must persevere!

28. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
29. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
30. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
31. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I'll admit that I cried during the 2nd book when Harry conjures the Patronus.

August

32. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.

A little grittier than my usual fare, so I wouldn't recommend this to everyone. Each chapter is a different narrator, but all the narrators relate and the stories are intertwined. Although, inevitably, I want more! The writing was beautiful and accessible.

I'm currently reading the following.
1. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
2. The Death and Life of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch
3. The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter
4. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

Tomorrow's post will include pictures of kids, I promise!

6 comments:

Janelle said...

I read the first five HP books in a period of about 4 weeks a few years ago -- I'd never read them before. I made it all the way through each of them without any problems, but by the time I was done with #5, I seriously needed a break. It's very emotionally heavy, and though #7 has the darkest events, I think that #5 is the darkest overall, and the hardest to read. Once I finished those five, I took a break for 6-8 weeks and then read the last two.

Beth said...

Tess of the D'Urbervilles has always haunted me. How could a book with such gorgeous writing be so utterly depressing? I can't decide whether I hate or love it.

Oh, and if you end up liking Jeeves and Wooster you should try watching the British television series version. Hilarious. I think so anyway. Especially the one about Eulalie and Roderick Spode. :D

Janet Johnson said...

Good for you for your goal! And I'd definitely count the first. :)

Personally, #5 and #7 of HP were a little drawn out for me, too. I kept wanting to shout "just get to the point already!" But I know some people love all the details. Anyway, happy reading!

Merry said...

Hey, blog pauses happen to everyone! It's okay to not record life because you're living it! Good luck on finishing your goal.

L said...

Glad you enjoyed Woodhouse! I echo Beth's recommendation on the British TV series. It's delightful. And it has that guy from House. What's his name? Hugh Laurie?

HP #5 is my favorite. I like dark sometimes. That totally fits with my personality, doesn't it?

Have I already recommended the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series? Author is Alexander McCall Smith. They're delightful. And if you're going for numbers, they're great, since they're all fast reads, and there are 11 of them (and counting).

kimber said...

Glad you are back to blogging. Can't wait to hear what you think about Confederacy. I just read it a few months ago. Your kids are getting so big and are as cute as ever!