About once a day, Calvin asks me to tell him the story of how I broke my arm. I don't have a clue how this first started, but is has become a bit of a tradition. When we are waiting for the bus, or have a little down time, he wants to hear how I broke my arm.
I was roller skating down my driveway, which is pretty steep. I was also bouncing a little ball. The ball went in the grass so I bent down to pick it up. When I bent down, my skates went out from underneath me and I fell on my left arm.
I began to cry, so my brother Ryan came over to help me. He had been in the yard as well, talking to two girls. He was about 14 at the time. He carried me in the house, told me I was okay and then left with the two girls. 14 year old boys are a bit clueless :). So, it was me and my 6-year-old brother trying to figure out what to do. This was before cell phones, and my mom was in her college class and we couldn't get a hold of her. I think we could call my dad, and I think we did that. I imagine that it was him who suggested we call my best friend's mom and have her take us to the hospital.
My friend's mom drove me to the hospital, but they couldn't treat me because she didn't have any parental consent forms. They gave me an ice pack and told me to go home and wait for my parents to get home. I can't remember how long I waited, but I do remember feeling like it was forever. When my parents got back, we went to the hospital and my arm was broken. I remember being really sad that I got a plain white cast and not a pink one. I also remember feeling really excited to go back to school after spring break and show everyone my cast.
Parents and siblings, you can clarify anything you would like in this story :).
I think it is so funny that Calvin loves this story. I'm not sure what he loves about it, but it makes me happy that he loves it. It reminds me of being a kid and the simple pleasures of roller skating. I'm also grateful that we now have cell phones :).
6 comments:
How Calvin has grown! Look at those blue eyes and blonde hair.
I remember having particular stories that I loved hearing my parents tell. There were a few from my dad's childhood and mission that I've probably heard a hundred times.
Betsey, that story makes me very sad for sweet, little 8-year-old Betsey! I can't believe they sent you home with an ice pack! And I'm very sorry you didn't get a pink cast.
That's pretty much how I remember it too, sweet Betsey. I can't for the life of me remember where I was, though, but know I wasn't around.
Love and miss you guys!
And I felt like the worst mom, ever! How would I possibly think that college classes were more important than my beloved children. I should have taken the week off too. My darling little girl, I am eternally sorry that I wasn't there for you.
I love that your kids want to here stories about when you were little.
Claudia
And I felt like the worst mom, ever! How would I possibly think that college classes were more important than my beloved children. I should have taken the week off too. My darling little girl, I am eternally sorry that I wasn't there for you.
I love that your kids want to here stories about when you were little.
Claudia
Post a Comment