
In January, my friend Cami visited LA. Cami and I went to BYU together and we both lived in the same dorms as Emmalee, who now lives in Pasadena. Cami, Emmalee and I (along with The 'Chard and Nora) spent the afternoon reminiscing and catching up.
Being with these two reminded me of how ridiculous I was during my freshman year at BYU. I'm honestly surprised that anyone (let alone these two cool girls) wanted to be friends with me. Richard and I often discuss how we lived in neighboring dorms during our freshman year. Richard sort of wishes that we had met. I'm so grateful that he didn't meet me then. I imagine that most of you were also ridiculous at 19. Here are some of the things that I look back on from ’98-’99 and just cringe.
1. I bleached my hair white blonde and wore old man bifocals. I thought that I looked alternative and cool.
2. I also wore overalls held together with tape with big men’s button-up shirts. I don’t know which fashion magazines I was consulting to get my style, but I’m glad I cancelled that subscription.
3. I thought that it was funny to make fun of people. I’m so lucky that I had patient friends who set me straight.
4. I hated it when people would walk faster than me. Anytime I was walking with a friend, I would have to be in front of them. Even if it was just a step or two. I don’t know why I did this. I once tripped and fell because I was racing my friends up a hill by the dorms.
5. I’m a morning person, so I used to wake my friends up at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday because I was up. I would knock on Emmalee’s dorm room door until she answered. Seriously, would you have been friends with me?
There are several additional ridiculous things that I did, but I don’t think the whole World Wide Web is ready for that much silliness. What did you do 10 years ago that now makes you cringe?
9 comments:
pierced my eyebrow. enough said.
- angie :)
Hey! I so remember the overalls with the tape!! Way too funny! Our freshman year was seriously the best ever! I don't know how you put up with me as a roommate also. Remember how homesick I was the first few weeks and how I loved country and you were Simon and Garfunkel (if that's even how you spell it). Thanks for putting up with me! I bet it was a blast catching up with Emmalee and Cami, it was fun to see a picture of them. Yes, I remember those early mornings too when you would wake up and study with your headphones on. It's crazy but 10 years ago I was your roommate!!
P.S. You've got me thinking that I will scan some old pics and blog them from the good old freshman dorm days. I have Young Women's tonight, but I will try to get it up.
I want to see a picture of your old man bifocals and bleached blond hair. That sounds so interesting. I made some pretty bad fashion decisions back in the day. I had Gilda Radner wild hair, but I was ultra granola too.
Ahh...those freshman days. I did decide to cut my own bangs at 2 in the morning...not a good idea.
By the way, Nora is the cutest Valentine I've ever seen!
I remember those overalls too. Of course we were friends with you. I don't remember the 8am door knocking, but of course I slept through everything. I still don't know how you were such an early riser. You were already back from class before I got up in the mornings.
i can make a list of 500 reasons i was your friend freshman year.
Thanks for NOT knocking at my door at 8:00 until I woke up. I actually remember getting home from Fall preference at 7:00am and you were on your way back to your room from taking a shower. I couldn't believe anyone would be up that early.
my friends in our DT dorm thought it would be "fun" and "cool" to dress up as gangstas for ward prayer on Sunday nights...I think there's something about being a freshman at BYU that brings out the weird in many...
Post a Comment