Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Dream Fulfilled

One of Richard's long-time dreams was fulfilled this weekend. Richard has a long love affair with Costco. He was smitten with Costco when it first arrived in Utah Valley. He has spent countless hours in the book section. He trusts Costco, buying major purchases without conducting his own research because he trusts that Costco will only have the best merchandise on hand. He also knows that he can return anything (with or without a receipt) with no questions asked. Richard's idea of a perfect date is Costco pizza and a stroll through the large aisles of the Playa Del Rey Costco.

Since moving to Los Angeles, Richard has hoped to see a celebrity shopping at Costco. He imagines that even celebrities can't resist the awesome deals and will have to come to Costco at some point. Their electronics are great, the produce is fresh, they have an awesome bakery, and even celebrities can't resist that great combination pizza!

Well, Friday night was Richard's night! We had our first celebrity sighting at Costco! It was Mr. Eko from Lost! I know, this isn't a major celebrity or anything, but it was fitting as Richard and I are huge Lost fans AND this was the week that Lost premiered! We were very excited to see him shopping for produce in the giant refrigerated room.

10 comments:

Jenna said...

This totally made me laugh because I know that you guys like going there as much as I dread it. Seeing Mr. Eko is much better than being literally stuck in the cheese aisle for 15 minutes on New Year's Eve (my last Costco experience.) If only my husband wouldn't sell his soul for their churros I'd never go back! :-)

Jacy said...

This is awesome! I really want a good LA celebrity sighting, but I refuse to go totally out of my way for it. I keep telling myself that one of these days I am going to see a celebrity at a very ordinary place, like Vons, the park, a gas station... or Costco! (Now I have to work on actually being able to recognize a celebrity when I see one!)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm happy to find more Lost fans! And even better to find one of them in Costco. I never would have thought a celebrity siting would happen there. Then again, we saw a celebrity at the DMV. Go figure!

L said...

I'll confess I'm totally bewildered at the costco fascination. I know so many people who love it there, but I just can't get into it. I've never lived anywhere where I had near enough storage space for their mega-supply of dry goods (96 rolls of toilet paper?), I can't possibly finish any of their fresh food products before getting sick of them (the exception may be those enormous cartons of blueberries), and I can usually find better deals on the other random "stuff" by shopping sales and online--or at Target even. (Target: now there's a store I can get behind). But all you Costco people can't be wrong--what am I missing?

L said...

p.s. I lived in LA for a combined total of ... 16? 17? years. And I can recall only two celebrity sightings (not counting Candace Cameron, who went to my junior high school, and therefore doesn't count since she was around a lot). I'm totally oblivious, apparently. And I probably would have missed the fact that Richard Dreyfus was strolling down the airport terminal if my brother hadn't told me after deplaning that they were on the same flight. (The other celebrity sighting, not that you're wondering, was Whoopi Goldberg in the art gallery at Disneyland.)

Nels, Drea, and Crew said...

That is pretty funny! We don't see many celebrities around Montana! We too are big Lost fans. We have it set to record every week. We also love Costco, except I can't keep Nels out of the falt screen TV's!

Emily Andrus said...

I heart Costco Churros!! (and pizza and hot dogs for that matter) Great sighting....I'm actually not a Lost watcher, but how fitting that Richard saw a celeb in one of his favorite haunts!

Kate said...

I'm not sure what your level of LOST obsession is... but, I'd wager we can rival it. We had a LOST party for which Neil re-made actual "Apollo" candy bars for. We also have all kinds of theories.
If you haven't seen the latest "missing piece" on abc.com it is IMPERATIVE that you go to the site right now and watch it.
It's WILD.

Unknown said...

YAY RICHARD!!! that's so exciting to know that Mr. elko also enjoys costco I mean he can get whatever produce he wants and he chooses the little cold room!!! Cory and I got a membership for christmas for ourselves and it makes us SO happy that now we can buy huge bags of pita chips and massive amounts of toilet paper. YAY COSTCO!!!

Christopher Crall said...

I thought you were going to say he finally got to go to Costco with the Crall's.