Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Celebration, Part II

The party continues!

The Gimbel Family has a birthday tradition on the morning of your birthday. You get all of your presents, a sign, and donuts from the Birthday Bird.

Here is the sign, donuts and book given to her on her actual birthday.


Here is the sign that greeted her when she woke up on Saturday morning at my parents' house. Can you tell that my mom has made plenty of signs in her day? She did have 5 kids. With one sign for each kid for 18 years...that is 90 signs! My math teacher mother would be proud! You can tell that the previous sign was our first sign. Not so exciting.

Edited to Add:  Thank you to my sweet friend Emily for correcting my math.  Clearly, my math teacher mother is not very proud of me.  Thank heaven for social sciences!  

The party decorations! We weren't going to have decorations, just cake! But Richard had a change of heart when we were in Target last week. He came up with the "Winter Wonderland" theme. I wasn't going to argue with some Target shopping. It was fun to plan her little party together.

Besides picking an excellent theme, Richard also built this balloon chandelier. It was most impressive.

The party hats were antlers and the party favor was a little stocking.

Here is the centerpiece for the party.

And Nora's cake, pre-demolition.


The yummy german-chocolate cake for the rest of us.

I sure am glad that I didn't make the cake. These look (and tasted) much better than anything I could make.


Okay, I realize that this was a bit of a boring post, but it sets the stage for tomorrow, when you get pictures of the actual party and not just the inanimate objects at the party.

Part III will also reveal the secret to Taco Pizza...Stay tuned!


4 comments:

amy said...

there is nothing, i repeat, NOTHING boring about a balloon chandelier!

Marble Madness said...

I don't want to disappoint your math teacher and I am known to miscalculate things myself(sadly, since I am an accountant) :), but are you sure about the number of signs your mom made? 5 kids x 18 birthdays = 90 signs.....just checking.. Happy (Late)Birthday NORA! You made it! Congrats.

Nadia said...

All right I need lessons on decorations and this is all I have to say. I love Nora's first theme and the execution, especially the chandelier... and her cakes looked just perfect!
Happy belated Birthday, Nora!!!!

Amber Ayres said...

wow you guys went all out!!!! I want a Gimbel birthday party!