My sister is an excellent hostess. Unrivaled in my opinion. She is also an amazing chef. The Thanksgiving meal was cooked to perfection and there was not a single food disaster from the day. I felt that it was my obligation to create a little disaster. Maybe I wanted to highlight the difference between me and my sister. She put together a feast to rival the pages of Martha Stewart magazine. I attempted to make a gingerbread house with stunningly dismal results. Seriously. You have never seen a gingerbread house that matched this level of pathetic-ness.
Okay, here is a little shot of the meal and one of the desserts. (Note that I did bring the cupcakes. I bought them, of course. Can you guess where? Yeah, we are totally on a first name basis with the amazing bakers at this shop. We've included cupcakes in our monthly budget).
Okay, for a little bit of back story on my Gingerbread house disaster. I love my sweet friend Morgan's blog. It is one of my favs. She is always working on some interesting and exciting project. It makes me excited. It makes me happy. It makes me delusional. When I see Morgan's awesome photography and great projects, I fool myself into thinking that I can do a similar project. Silly Betsey. I won't even begin to describe the litany of failed Morgan-inspired projects that I have attempted. It would embarrass me and Morgie-Moore. So, I saw the adorable Halloween gingerbread house that her sister created. I poured over the directions and pictures. I thought, "This isn't even a Morgan project...It is a Vanessa project." I can totally do this! Yep, Morgan and her sister are BOTH talented, crafty geniuses!
I just realized that I didn't even take any pictures of the disaster! Karl, I know that you did. Will you email them to me so that I can post them on the blog? Anyway, the beginning of the project went okay, but once the assembly process started, I realized that I was in way over my head.
My family enjoyed attempting the decorate the house, and so I consider it a success. But I think that next time, I am going to go with a kit.
9 comments:
Hey, Betsey! I am making our blog private today, and I just realized I don't have your email address. Could you please send it to me when you have a second? We'd really like to send you an invite (:
Take care!
Stacy Hoeksel
Stacy.Hoeksel@Gmail.com
holy crap. three kinds of cranberries.
i noticed the cupcakes right away. way to represent.
if you are in a habit of spending time with people who make you feel your crafting capabilities are inferior, may i recommend you make a switch and start spending time with me? i promise a spectacular emotional turnaround. guaranteed paradigm shift!
plus, i miss you guys. even nora, whom i have never met.
yeah we definately need pics of the gingerbread house now. I'm all too curious of how bad this "disaster" really was. Anything would feel like a disaster next to your sister's perfection hostess qualities! don't feel too bad, at least you tried.
Litany. I love that you used that word. SO good talking to you TWO times this week (how lucky am I???)
You are so nice re: ye olde blog. I miss you!!
xxoxo
Sorry, Matt Lohrke was masquerading as Morgan Moore! LOL!
Oh, that is just best looking table in the world! Isn't the best to be with the family for Holidays? I love this time of the year.
Oh, Bets. I have made several "earthquake" gingerbread houses! They're fun anyway. Someone actually bought us a kit this year, but I think I'm going to start making "rice krispie" houses. Easier to mold and form and you don't need 3 cups of icing to hold it together. I think I'll give it a shot.
Betsey, you are so funny! You make me lol everytime I read your blog. I too am a big fan of MM's blog. She inspires me to make stuff, but like you, of course they're never as cute.
thank you for helping me appreciate the goodness of bakery purchased cupcakes--I thought you were a little nuts with the posts about this cupcake place at first..but I tried some from some place in Phx at a bridal shower..and AMAZING...YUM!!! I coud NOT make cupcakes like that at home!!!
Post a Comment