We hosted dinner for about 15 people on the 23rd and then we decided to host anyone from church who didn't have family for Christmas dinner. It was a blast. Richard just went around after church, asking people if they wanted to come to dinner. We had a ton of food and so much fun spending time with our friends. We really have an amazing group of friends here.
Me with all the food. I was an animal in the kitchen. I won't even tell you how much food I cooked in my tiny oven. I honestly didn't cook for the next week afterward because I was so burned out. And we had so many leftovers, that I didn't need to cook! The kids are a little tired of turkey :).
Elder Smith and Elder Chang from our church. These two are great.
Nora was so happy to have so many friends. She coerced everyone into reading her stories.
Some of the group posing for a picture.
Calvin and Dastan. Dastan had never had deviled eggs before and he loved them. I think he ate almost the whole tray; it made me smile. It was fun to be able to explain traditional U.S. Christmas dinner food to our friends from other countries. Sweet potatoes were not a hit. Our American sweet tooth is not universal.
I am going to do this every year. I love being surrounded by lots of friends on the wonderful day when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. I love that it is Christ that unites us. It was this humble birth which brings together this group of people from all over the world and gives us a united purpose. I'm grateful for the unity with mankind that I feel during this time of year. I hope I can try to reflect more on the life of the Savior this coming year and try to follow his example with greater purpose of heart.
10 comments:
I want to be your neighbor so we can play UNO. You guys know how to live- so many big smiles :) glad your Christmas was merry and bright, and that you had abundant sweet potatoes to yourselves. They're my favorite!
Happy New Year Team Hawkins!
Our brother & sister-in-law live in Shenzhen & pretty frequently travel to Hong Kong. You guys would get along great.
I'll have to introduce you via web because it's always fun to have more expat friends!
i love seeing how you celebrated christmas and am super impressed at your cooking skills betsey! but most of all i feel compelled to comment on how much i love your red rug and the pillows with the green flowers - your place looks so homey (it helps to have cute kids to showcase photos on your walls with!) :)
merry christmas hawkins family!
I wish I lived in Hong Kong so I could spend Christmas with the Hawkins!! Looks like a great time!
You are one of my favorite people on the planet. It's true.
Oh, and you are looking SKINNY.
(1) Julie has the same dress that Nora is wearing. In fact, Julie saw these pictures, and insisted that it was her in them.
(2) I love your gray and red rug.
(3) We had 15 people over, too. I think it's a tradition I'm going to keep as well. A few years ago, my mom did Christmas dinner on the 26th, which allowed us to all relax and enjoy each others' company on Christmas Eve and Christmas, and have the stress of a fancy meal after the holiday. I like it for getting together with friends, because it allows them to all be with their own families on Christmas Day, but still celebrate together also.
This sounds so delightful! I love that Christmas dinner tradition idea.
My brother is coming to Hong Kong next semester on study abroad. I hope he runs into you somehow, I told him you are there. Not sure how things are organized in Hong Kong, churchwise, but I know it is a small world in the church.
This looked like a BLAST! I love that your kids get to grow up with friends from soooo many places. That is priceless Betsey!! You are amazing! Oh, and the pic of the kids in the last post made me tear up. That is a family heirloom!
Betsey, that is awesome. You are seriously the best. I'm so glad we are friends!!!
Betsey, you look great and what a beautiful table you have set for Christmas dinner.
You are amazing! Missed you this Christmas but good to get to see your celebration!
Much Love
-M
Post a Comment