After leaving the park this afternoon, Calvin started pouting and saying "I want a backyard!" I think he was mad that we had to walk the mile home, even though he was in the stroller. I tried to remind him about all the awesome things we do have in Hong Kong like taxis, buses, trains Nd trams. He wasn't convinced. I feel like I spend a lot of time telling my kids to be grateful for what they do have, rather than thinking about what they don't have. Probably something we all need to be reminded of now and again.



2 comments:
So true. That attitude of being grateful for what I had helped through my time in the Philippines, too. Toward the end of my mission, me and one of my district leaders had a running joke - each district meeting we would each say something we'd forgotten existed since being in the Philippines - microwave, dishwasher, washing machine. We had some good laughs.
One thing I tried to focus on were the things I enjoyed that I knew I'd have to give up once I left - coconut-stuffed bread. A bakery on every corner. Sidecars. Fresh mangoes. There will be things he'll miss about Hong Kong next time he's in the States.
What a wonderful education you are helping your children obtain through experience. Recognizing that there are no 'back yards' in Hong Kong shows his new stage of growth.
Post a Comment