Monday, June 25, 2007

Dragon Boat Race

Richard's firm raced in the Dragon Boat Festival a week ago. The Dragon Boat festival is a national holiday where teams race boats about 200 yards into the beach. The race took place on the island of Hong Kong in a town called Stanley. Some of the race teams are very good, competitive teams. Other teams are company teams (like Richard's) and are not as serious. Some companies even have their teams dress up. We saw teams dressed as babies, supermen (and women), prisoners, and bumble bees.

Along the race course, companies and sponsors will rent yachts (called junks here in Hong Kong). The boats line the course and are very close together. You could jump from boat to boat (if you are brave...I am not). Richard's team did pretty well, which means they didn't come in last in either of their races. It was a very successful day :)


Richard looks very handsome in his uniform! He did very well in the race!




A member of the team beats this drum, located on the front of the boat. They beat the drum to the rhythm they are supposed to row at. The teams that were really good looked amazing as they rowed. They were so synchronized.



The dragon head is located at the front of the boat. There was a very long ceremony a few days before the race to place the dragon head on the boat.



Here is Richard's team rowing out from the beach to the starting point of the race. Their form looks very good :)


Another picture of the team heading towards the starting point of the race.



Here are the 11 teams in the heat lined up and waiting to race!


The 2nd race! I took this picture from the firm's junk. The teams look very close together. I'm surprised they didn't hit the other team's paddles!

It was a very hot day, and unfortunately, Richard got a little sunburn on his head. He is growing his hair in again (he is going to shave it again though...he likes it better :)) and didn't think to put sun screen into his hair. Because his hair is so short still, it didn't protect his little head. By Friday afternoon, his head was itchy and peeling. Very uncomfortable...so the lesson learned is to wear sunscreen!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job, Richie Rich!

Sounds like it was lots of fun. Thanks for the pictures and details! Richard, may I recommend wearing a hat? You are much too young to die from skin cancer.

We love you both. Betsey thanks for spearheading the blog entries. You're terrific.

aSHleY said...

Thanks for the post. Looks like a fun day.

Emily said...

That's awesome that you get to experience first hand such traditions! Sorry to hear about the sunburn though!

Morgan Moore said...

that looks like such fun! Sorry for the head-burn...OUCH!

tawni said...

Its really pretty there! You guys do fun things. I am really enjoying your trip :)

Jacy said...

I love the pictures. Now I want to go to Hong Kong! I always forget to put sunscreen in my part, so I totally sympathize with the scalp burn. Ouch!

Emily said...

Hey Betsey! I do know Sunny...her brother is Eric and he goes to the Singles ward. I knew she was in Hong Kong too, but I really didn't expect you to run into her. (Afterall, it is a big place.) But tell her hi for me too!