Monday, June 23, 2008

Grandma Iris is 100!

On May 24th, Richard's Grandmother Iris turned 100 years old!  We celebrated with a big bash in Provo.  There were many friends and family that came to celebrate sweet Grandma Iris.


Here we are with the Birthday Girl.  She looked very glamorous in her dress.  The dress was owned by Mrs. Gene Autry and was over 40 years old.  I can't keep an outfit for over a year because I will always spill something on it.  


Here are some of Richard's talented cousins.  I had only met one of his cousins, so it was exciting to meet the other four.  They played beautifully during the event.  My favorite performance, though, was by our nephew Matthew.  He is 7 and played Praise to the Man many many times.  It was very impressive.

All the great-grandchildren of Grandma Iris had little jobs to do during the party.  They passed out iris bulbs and little cookbooks of Grandma Iris's favorite recipes.  It included my favorite Grandma Iris Chocolate Chip Cookies (YUM!).  I should post that recipe.   

I know that many readers of the blog have been anxious to hear more about Cleveland.  Don't worry!  Tomorrow will begin our regular reports from The Cleve'.  And we have much to report!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! I can't believe that your grandma has a dress that was owned by Gene Autry! That's awesome.

Also, I'm glad you guys have a chance to do some vacationing before you settle down! Can't wait to see more pics!

a gimbel said...

I'm sure that I'm being disrespectful here, so please forgive me. Wouldn't the dress have been owned by Mrs. Gene Autry? I can't imagine Cowboy Gene (as I remember him) ever wearing a dress. (Please...no hidden transvestite past! He was my TV hero when I was a little girl!)

Claudia

a gimbel said...

"Phew", she said, wiping her brow. I just looked back at your post, Betsey, and you DID say the dress belonged to Mrs. Autry. I'm with you, though. I would have spilled on that dress the first time I ever wore it.

Hey, give us some more details on the darling dresses worn by the little girls. They look all alike-intentional, I'm sure; but did they have little irises on them? They look like some type of flower. And you didn't say which instrument Matthew played, when her performed "Praise to the Man". Is he a violinist also?

Carol Lee, I can't wait to see you when you're in Indianapolis. It's always such fun to spend time with you!

Claudia

Christopher Crall said...

I'm glad you wore a nametag, Betsey. I suppose at 100, it's hard to remember all the in-laws. Or did Richard have to wear one too?