Friday, November 21, 2008

Clever and Charming



From the BBC:

"Eunoia is the shortest word in English containing all five vowels - and it means 'beautiful thinking.' It is also the title of Canadian poet Christian Bok's book of fiction in which each chapter uses only one vowel. Mr. Bok believes his book proves that each vowel has its own personality, and demonstrates the flexibility of the English language."

Here is my favorite excerpt from a chapter entitled "For Yoko Ono" (it's mostly my favorite because of the title):

"Loops on bold fonts now form lots of words for books. Books form cocoons of comfort - tombs to hold bookworms. Profs from Oxford show frosh who do post-docs how to gloss works of Wordsworth. Dons who work for proctors or provosts do not fob off school to work on crosswords, nor do dons go off to dorm rooms to loll on cots. Dons go crosstown to look for bookshops known to stock lots of top-notch goods: cookbooks, workbooks - room on room of how-to-books for jocks (how to jog, how to box), books on pro sports: golf or polo. Old colophons on schoolbooks from schoolrooms sport two sorts of logo: oblong whorls, rococo scrolls - both on worn morocco."

I also like this excerpt from the chapter entitled "For Dick Higins":

"Hiking in British districts, I picnic in virgin firths, grinning in mirth with misfit whims, smiling if I find birch twigs, smirking if I find mint sprigs. Midspring brings with it singing birds, six kinds, (finch, siskin, ibis, tit, pipit, swift), whistling shrill chirps, trilling chirr chirr in high pitch. Kingbirds flit in gliding flight, skimming limpid springs, dipping wingtips in rills which brim with living things: krill, shrimp, brill - fish with gilt fins, which swim in flitting zigs. Might Virgil find bliss implicit in this primitivism? Might I mimic him in print if I find his writings inspiring?"

8 comments:

Erica said...

That is crazy. It is amazing how weird it sounds to read aloud and that it is possible to write something that makes sense using only one vowel. It gives me a headache just thinking about it.

SGarff said...

That’s really cool.

Emily said...

So clever! I might have to check out that book!

Ben said...

Amazing! I can't believe he was able to pull that off and still write so eloquently - and I can totally see how he is showing the vowels "personality"! Ahhh - I love it!I am going to order this book - I love this kind of thing!
Take care!
Stacy Hoeksel

April Celeste Garff said...

I find this skill inspiring! It is mind tiring. It isn't light grind. I wish I will still finish it.

Kirsten Treff said...

That's fabulous! My dad will love it! And for the record, good old Figueroa street contains all the vowels, and only once. I noticed that early on in my tenure here in LA, and have always secretly loved driving on or through Figueroa since!

Jeremy said...

I don't know if it is a pleasure reading ;-) but that is really cool!

Nadia said...

Oops, the above was my comment ;-)