Tuesday, April 5, 2011

March Reading

I'm still plugging away at my goal of reading 52 books in 2011. I read some longer books in March, not just longer, denser (is that a word?). The point is, I read a lot of pages, not necessarily a lot of books. But, I felt like it was a good month of quality books.

(For your reference, if you care, here is my list in January and February).

18. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

I really loved this. It was a dense and complex family drama, focused on the lives of two twin brothers, orphaned from birth. The brothers are raised in a hospital in Ethiopia and develop a fascination with medicine. I loved the descriptions of medical procedures (the author is a doctor) and how the two brothers' differing approaches to healing evolved. I give this two thumbs up. A contender for my favorite book this year.

19. The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch

Although this book started slow, I really was engaged by the end. Set in the late 1600's in Germany, a village hangman and doctor attempt to solve the murders of several children before the local midwife is charged as a witch for the crimes. The author is a descendant of an executioners dynasty in Germany, and created a moving portrait of life as a hangman. It was a good thriller, complex and engaging.

20. I'd Know You Anywhere: A Novel by Laura Lippman

A wife and mother in her late 30's is contacted by the man who kidnapped her as a teenager. He is on death row for the kidnapping and murders of other girls. Eliza's "perfect" life is shaken as she has to recall the events of those 40 days when she was held captive and the impact the kidnapping had on her life, and subsequently the life of her family. I was really intrigued by the concept and thought the author did a great job creating complex characters.

21. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I posted on Facebook that this was a "meh" book for me, and got some surprised responses back from friends. I felt like this was a great concept, but lacked the execution I wanted. I wanted the characters to be richer, fuller. I felt like I was only able to "see" them in a fog, that their motives and actions weren't clear because I didn't quite understand who they were. I read this really fast because I felt like it was just within reach, but it never made it for me. Because of this, I felt like the romance was only about physical attraction, which drives me crazy, especially in a book. Yes, yes...she was beautiful and you wanted her, but WHY?!?!? It left me unsatisfied.

I'm reading a little non-fiction this month, starting with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I'm also planning on reading Tina Fey's book, Bossypants, because I have a big ol' girl crush on Tina Fey. I do have plans to finish some "scrapbooking" for the kids, so let's count on a lighter month in April, okay?

4 comments:

valeri said...

felt the same way about "water." i don't like when a good book goes bad. excited to read "stone" though; have heard great things about it from multiple people. you're a girl after my own heart, bets!

Katie said...

Betsey, I couldn't get through "Water for Elephants" - you're not alone. I just heard a review of "Bossypants" on NPR given by Janeane Garofalo...I'm dying to get my hands on that book! Unfortunately next on my reading "Reinforcement Therapy" for school :( Miss you all - please give the family a big old hug from me and The Cleve!

Jacy said...

I don't know how you do it, Betsey! I am seriously so impressed. I love that this is a "light" reading month. Sadly, this is probably better than my reading for an entire year. But you're inspiring me to read more. And my parents just got me a Kindle and I'm hoping to be able to read and nurse once our baby comes this summer, so I totally need recommendations for good books. Thanks and great job!!

Jacy said...

I left my above comment before I read your "confessions" post, and didn't want you to think that I'm any less impressed. I never read this much when I was single, much less with kids! So I still don't know how you do it, even with help. I would probably have to neglect my life and family entirely to get this much reading done, so the fact that you have a nanny to help you towards this goal is EVEN BETTER! I still think you are amazing, and I just wanted you to know in case you read my above comment with anything different in mind.