Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Nora Story

I just had to write this down.  Nora is too adorable.

When we are on the bus or waiting to get on the bus, Nora frequently requests that we tell her stories.  She has very specific requirements, usually the story must include either Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Angelina Ballerina, or Nora.  The story also can't be a regurgitation of a story she already knows (no retelling of a book we have, a tv show episode she knows, or a fairy tale she is aware of).  And last, but most importantly, the story CAN NOT be scary.  She is not a fan of scary things.

While we were on the bus a few weeks ago, Nora requested a story about Mickey and Minnie Mouse.  I started telling a story about Minnie and Mickey who were students in the class of a very strict teacher named Mrs. Smith.  Nora asked what strict meant and I told her that it meant that Mrs. Smith had serious consequences when students broke the rules and that she always enforced the consequence.


One day, Minnie and Mickey were playing inside the classroom, because it was raining outside.  Mrs. Smith was not in the classroom.  Mickey suggested that they throw a ball around the room.  Minnie said, I don't know because it is one of Mrs. Smith's rules to not throw balls inside.  Mickey then told Minnie that it was okay, that Mrs. Smith wasn't there and it wasn't a big deal.  

Nora stopped me right there and said, "No, stop!  No scary stories!"  I asked her what was scary about the story.  She said that Minnie and Mickey broke the rules and were going to have a bad consequence.  I had to smile inside at my little rule follower.  She is very aware of rules and really does try to follow them....most of the time.  







5 comments:

Merry said...

That is such a cute story!

Margie and Brandon said...

She's so precious. love and miss you and can't wait to see you SOON!

Tiffany Feger said...

how sweet. and i love that you wrote that story down. i'd forget something like that.

p.s. i just let tyler cry it out. the night before wasn't so fun. I told Steven not to go in to get our crying 9 month old just yet b/c I was trying to "Ferberize" him. So Steven went to the computer to look up what you had told me etc. He then went up and picked him up to calm him down before putting him back in bed to cry histerically. twice. then he let him "eeeeeeeeeeeeeh, eeeeeeh, eeeeeh" it out and Tyler fell asleep plopped down in half over his cris-crossed legs. Steven declared that we had instead "Fegerized" him. That reminded me of the scene in one of the "Meet The Parents" movies where they "Fockerized" their son. Parenting is so different for every family. I swear I'll truely do it your way w/ a 4th kid if we have one! um, i'm going to blog this b/c this is way too long of a comment. i miss you and love seeing updates about your fam!

Jen said...

I am impressed that you are able to come up with original stories...nice job. And way to go Nora, you stick to those rules!

Grandma C said...

I loved the details. Yes, both of you 'stick to the rules'