Monday, November 3, 2008

Christmas Preparation

I love this time of year.  Making lists of gifts to give.  Deciding what cookies to make.  Writing the Christmas newsletter (well, email really).  I was very excited this year to buy a Christmas/holiday dress for Nora.  I wanted something that she could wear to Thanksgiving as well, so I didn't want it to look super Christmasy (no red or green).  I also wanted something she could wear in her 1 year pictures (her birthday is on December 5th).  Finally, I didn't want to have to sell a kidney for a dress she will probably wear 10 times.  After much internet searching, I finally settled on this little adorable dress from Gymboree.  



I like it, but I wasn't in love with it.  Until tonight.  Richard had been telling me that one of his co-workers, an older woman who has raised all her children, had a winter coat for us to use while we were in Cleveland.  She knows that we are only here a year, and weren't really excited about buying winter coats for one-year use (HK is hot! hot! hot!).  I honestly didn't care to even see the coat.  I pictured some disgusting old 1970's parka with dirt on the front and moth holes.  
Richard came home with the coat tonight and I almost died of happiness when I saw it.  I couldn't believe how perfect this little coat is.  She kept it in pristine condition and it is just PERFECT.  It has that amazing early 1960's vintage cut, with this intense bright pink color, which gives it a modern feel.  I honestly can't WAIT to see little Nora in this coat.  We are DEFINITELY going to get her one year pictures taken in this.  I've never been one to hunt for vintage things, but I may have to start after seeing this amazing coat.  I'm so excited!  Is it bad that I am that excited about a coat for Nora?  I think I need a hobby :)  
 

The coat!  I love it so much.  Can't you see little Sally Draper wearing this on Mad Men?

Look at those pleats!  I love the black piping.

It comes with a bonnet!  I may have to force Nora to wear the bonnet, she doesn't like things on her head.  But believe me, she will wear this!

The coat from the back.  


11 comments:

a gimbel said...

You will laugh when I tell you I had a coat almost exactly this cut, as a little girl, but it was the exact opposite color combination--dark blue with pink piping. I'll have to show you the pictures when you are home at the holidays.

I love your choice of dresses. Can I get Nora some Christmassy play clothes then?

Love from her doting Grandma Claudia

Nels, Drea, and Crew said...

Adorable!

L said...

Seriously darling! Does this woman have a coat that you get to borrow, too? You should make sure to give her one of Nora's 1-year pics--I'm sure she'd get a kick out of seeing cute little Nora in her daughter's old coat.

And vintage stuff is fantastic. I wasn't ever really into either until last year when I spent countless hours at every store I could think of fruitlessly searching for an ivory formal for my brother's wedding. And then I walked into a cute little vintage shop in Berkeley, and there it was. They cut clothes for women with curves back in the day, which is a huge added bonus for me.

Janelle said...

Wow, that is seriously bright! It will go great with the black and white dress though.

The Thomases said...

Oh my gosh!! That is TO DIE FOR cute!!! I also wanted to get a holiday dress for little e and have been looking like crazy. I love Janie and Jack's holiday line, but a little (I mean a lot) out of my price range! We may be stealing your dress idea.

Emily said...

I totally love the dress and the coat! Isn't is soooo much fun to buy dress up clothes for girls?? It totally counts as a hobby.

Lofgrens said...

They are both ADORABLE! I too have found that I LOVE vintage things - clothes and decorations. I have been looking for fun little things like that for the kids and for the house. We are hoping to buy a house next year so I'm on the hunt! I also didn't realize Nora's b-day is December 5th. Jada's is the 6th (just one year younger!!!) Love the outfit!!

Unknown said...

SO CUTE!!!! You better be posting pics with her wearing the coat and the bonnet

Karolyn said...

That's such a sweet coat. We don't even want to buy big coats, and we're here for good. It's so pricey. I feel like everyone here has 5 coats for the different types of weather.

Kalin said...

I am still deciding between this dress and the black/ivory/red plaid one from Gymboree but I'm now leaning toward the plaid because Molly doesn't have a pink and black coat to wear with hers. The funny thing is, she really doesn't need a Christmas dress but I have a feeling I'll end up buying one anyway. Hooray Christmas dress!

Amber Ayres said...

she will look so cute in both of those! then again, Nora looks cute in anything!