I'm sitting on my couch, watching MSNBC, waiting for my darling husband to come home so that we can eat popcorn and watch the results come in. I'm excited, it feels like a holiday.
I love voting as well. In addition to working on academic studies on elections, my masters thesis was focused on civic engagement and community capacity building. Although voting isn't the most effective way for citizens to be involved in their communities, it is one of the easiest. It also represents us, as citizens, exercising democracy and expressing our consensus and united voice for the leaders or our country. Although the voting process is imperfect, it is a process that makes me proud and eager to participate. It helps me feel engaged in my community (especially when voting on local issues). Listening to NPR this afternoon, I heard about the record turnout being reported across the country, even in non-swing states. I teared up a little thinking about people across the country exercising their civic duty to vote.
Side note: I hope that we also look for additional ways to be involved in our community-from serving in the PTA, local school board, donating time and resources to local non-profits, mentoring young people. We are responsible for changing the face of our communities.
No matter what your politics are, I hope that you voted and expressed your voice and opinions on the leaders or our communities, states and country.
9 comments:
Betsey, that is seriously so sweet. Yes, I voted. And not for Nader, although I strongly considered it even this morning. California had some pretty interesting ballot issues this time around, too.
I confess that I had a hard time this morning not being grumpy about the long lines: I think people who vote in EVERY municipal election (eh, hum) should get to bump to the front of the line on presidential election day. But this is the same dilemma I had when my non-crowded commuter train started filling up when gas prices went up.
Highlights of election day: explaining to a colleague from India that the day of the election is fixed by the US Constitution, proudly wearing my "I voted" sticker at work, and talking with my coworkers about the random polling places we'd had in the past. Winner of most random was a toss-up between Carol, who voted in somebody's garage while living in a new suburb, and me, whose polling place in my last neighborhood in West LA was the local Ford dealership. "How LA," my coworkers teased me.
This blog comment is now very long. I'm sorry. It looks like I need a hobby, too!
Yay for Barack and for our country!
Thanks, Betsey. You remind us of the blessing and responsibility and joy of citizenship.
As a grassroots worker for Obama working in Colorado and Nevada, I hope people get the picture that this "win" was due to brilliant planning and participation by thousands and thousands of ordinary citizens working together for a better America. This story needs to be examined and reexamined for it is truly inspirational. It was wonderful to participate in this election at age 61. (My first time working for and donating to a candidate.) But this "win" is just the beginning because there is much work to do as we come together to face the enormous problems facing this country.
Love you and love your political love story,
Grandma Carol Lee
Hi Betsey! Brian is wearing a Moby Wrap in that pic on our blog. It is basically a long piece of cloth you wrap around yourself in different ways to hold your baby all different ways. It is VERY comfortable. I use it instead of using a stroller because Braden hates the stroller. It can hold up to 35 lbs, I think, so Nora can still fit in one. Alot cheaper than most baby carriers, too. You can find them online. Yay for Obama, and I hope all is going well for you guys! We miss you!
I LOVE voting too!!! and the thought that so many people who don't normally vote have gotten involved. I have to say that I'm happy for all you crazy liberals out there that I'm sure are walking on air this morning. Although I don't agree with obama on a lot his acceptance speech was great, his election was historical, and I have to allow myself to be excited--all these good vibes rolling around about change can't possibly be a bad thing right? I'm hopeful that he will hold to his promises to unite, allow himself to shift middle a bit, and not take this as a mandate for far left policy....or if he does..hopefully it will give republicans a chance to unite themselves behind some GOOD candidates --it's amazing the changes that have taken place since election night 2004--that's what makes politics SO fun :)
Bestey, you are awesome!
Check out http://november5.org/ It's for everyone.
Only you would associate politics with romance! I wish you could get Jamie to be passionate about politics, he didn't vote, he didn't care to. I voted and really paid attention to the debates and all the other info in this election. I felt proud to make a really informed decision instead of just voting for who my parents voted for ( like I did last time-oops)
I voted. You're so funny, Betsey. I know this about you, but it's fun to read you say it. I was so happy for you when 11pm came around and the results were in. I was seriously thinking of how excited you must be.
thank you for delivering Ohio for us. When I saw the buckeye state go blue I shed a sweet tear of joy.
Post a Comment