It is something that I really want to do. I want to be a runner, I want to love running. But, even while training for the race in 2004, I would have to talk myself into going out. I loved the way I felt after running, and finishing the race was the most amazing feeling of accomplishment. It was (and still is) one of the best days of my life. I set my mind to something, worked hard over a series of months, and accomplished my goal. That was the winning formula! So, what is it about this goal that I can't seem to do it again?
I have many other goals that I have set, and haven't quiet reached. I think that if you looked at my goals in 1998 and 2008, they would be very similar. Some, like, "Be patient" and "Be kind to others," I clearly will spend a life-time trying to reach. But how come I can't seem to "complete another marathon," "read the entire Old Testament (not just the good parts!)" or "writing in my journal?"
I would like to hear about your goals that you are still striving towards. What is your "marathon?"
P.S. I'm signing up for the Salt Lake City Marathon for April 18, 2009. Wish me luck.
10 comments:
I get into the same kind of ruts with goals - like "make a quilt with the Cambodian fabric used in our wedding"...although it's not "my marathon", it's still a big project with multiple phases that I want to come out really well, which combined make it daunting to start (especially when I have no time!) As for writing in my journal, that has also been a struggle, but I've given up on the daily thing and try to make it a weekly thing, and usually I can do it....but blogging counts, too!
mine is a marathon, too, dangit. in fact, you may as well have been transcribing my thoughts in this post (except the part about the running one...that wouldn't hold up in court). the part about crying while running, though, that's got my name all over it.
i want to run the salt lake marathon with you. but i want to train with you for it. i need a buddy, you know? you have the chard, but me? all i got is someone who was the fastest kid in his county in elementary school.
GIMBEL!
Thanks for commenting on my blog! It's been fun to catch up with all of the fellow IDM'ers via blogspot or facebook.
I've told Stacy about your legendary district meeting cookies. Thanks for being the awesome district chef. I'm not sure Elder Thompson could've held that title. It would've been like hot dogs and snickers.
Keep in touch with my little crew over here (Stacy, me, and Max)
Laters,
Ben Hoeksel
p.s. We're adding you to our blog role. Now we'll be lurking on your blog! :)
That’s great! I’m sure you’ll do very well. April has run Salt Lake twice and she says that it’s a pretty good course. Actual marathons are not in my desired future but I’ve always wanted to do a high altitude climb like Denali or Annapurna.
Pretty much every day I tell myself I'm going to go to bed early so I can get up early the next morning and go into work early and not be tired. It's almost 11, and instead of being in bed I'm posting on your blog. I'm pathetic.
I'm starting with the goal of a 1/2 marathon. In fact I may be doing the Salt Lake City 1/2 marathon next April as well. That will be SO cool to run "with" you.
There are a bunch of people here at work who run marathons/triathlons and it is very embarrassing to admit I can barely run 3 miles without stopping. I HATE running, especially outside. I'd much rather use the elliptical, take a bide ride, hit a few tennis balls or take a dance class. But it still makes me feel lazy that I can't love running like Forrest Gump! I totally understand how you feel!
I have really enjoyed running marathons, but life has been crazy for us too. I think there's no shame in signing up for half marathons and training to complete those. You shouldn't feel bad about that. I want to learn how to sew and I want to take a photography class. For some reason, I haven't done either of these things. I'm scared it will be like my BYU clogging class (think Richard's diving class) and that I will be a failure.
I often feel the same way about working out as you. But I just have a really cheap Husband, if I pay to sign up for a race, He'll make me do it whether I am prepared for the race or not. You just need a meaner Husband...It's all his fault you haven't been able to do another race.
I just want to do a 10K. I'm not really training for it, but I'm going to do the Turkey Trot 10K. I've done 5Ks, but not in a long time. I did two short triathlons and it feels so good to finnish one. It was even more fun telling people I was training for one. I felt cool. A marathon is something I don't think I want to do. I was amazed and so proud of you when you did it. I got pregnant right after my last goal of the 10K, so I know how you feel about life getting in the way. I'm glad Richard told you to wait when you were crying. He's a good husband. Oh, and A LAWYER!!!!!!!
Post a Comment