Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Weekend

In celebration of our anniversary, we spent Easter weekend in the cute town of Willougby, Ohio. We rented the Louis Penfield house, a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is in the usonian style of design that Wright pioneered. He wanted to offer design elements previously only found in expensive homes (incorporation of indoor/outdoor living, native materials, open floor plan) at a lower cost for the middle class. The house was just beautiful, and we had such a relaxing weekend. It was incredible to be in such a well-designed home. We loved "getting away from it all," even though we were 30 minutes from home.

The house.

The floating staircase. Yeah, Nora was naturally drawn to this (Richard said that Nora was drawn to this like Rhianna to Chris Brown). She only fell down the stairs once and wasn't injured.

The living room. The floor to ceiling windows were spectacular. The interior of the house was fantastic too. The son of Louis Penfield spent four years renovating the house and crafting the furniture from cherry wood found on the property.

The three upstairs bedrooms had amazing windows, too.

Richard took these from the windows in the living room. We saw 5-6 deer on Sunday morning. It was so incredible.

More deer.

Easter Sunday morning.

8 comments:

Emily said...

That is an awesome house! I remember studying Frank Lloyd wright in Humanities and just loving his work. I'm so jealous you got to be in one of his houses!

carol lee said...

We've visited quite a few of Wright's homes, and I always wondered what it would feel like to live in one. They seem to call for a simplier, less complicated life. Did you pick up any ideas for your future homes?

Anxious to hear more...
Mom/Carol Lee

Jen said...

I love Frank Lloyd Wright designs. He made some very incredible house. That is so great that you got to do that.

Nels, Drea, and Crew said...

What a fun weekend getaway! Thays nice that its only a half hour away. Your family pic is so cute!

P.S. Happy Late Anniversary!!!

Unknown said...

you guys are so fun and cute and yet intellectual at the same time. I love it!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

What a nice break! I don't care how far away you are from home, as long as the phone can't ring, it's a vacation!
We have a Frank Lloyd Wright house down the street from us. I haven't actually been to see it yet, but it's on my list of "things to do when Dave and I get a baby-sitter for the twins" (which is, unfortunately, a really long list)
That house is GORGEOUS! What a fun Easter weekend!

Popi and CeCe said...

You are living our dream, and Don has added it to our "to do" list--really near the top. What a great get-way! Cheryl (Jacy's mom)

Unknown said...

What an awesome idea! My bro in law would be so jealous. He is a huge FLW fan. I didn't know he had designed a house in Ohio.
Nora is crazy cute as always.