Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Status Update: Nora's Costume

I actually received many comments on my sad little post about my inability to thread a sewing machine.  I was surprised that so many of you cared, and thankful for your positive feedback.  I may try to sew again tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.

My dear friend Laura encouraged me to start small, with something like a cape.  Sadly, a cape is what I was trying to make and it is apparently not small enough for me!  I wanted Nora to be Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween.  I bought a back-up from Costco on Friday.  A tiger costume that is adorable, but sadly not made by me.  I know, I know...a homemade costume does not equal love.  I was blessed with a mom who sewed amazing costumes when I was little (examples:  cabbage patch kid, rocket ship, space man, Annie)  We were the coolest kids in pre-school with our homemade costumes.  I was just trying to be my mom.  

At the end of the day, Nora will not remember what she wore on her first Halloween.  Maybe I'll practice and try again next year.    

10 comments:

Janelle said...

I don't get the whole "I must make everything by hand" mindset. I understand that it's more economical, but I just don't get it. Don't berate yourself.

amy said...

betsey, you are hardcore. i know that in some little place in your brain homemade costumes=love, and i hear that. i do. for you and your mom they did.

now hear this. you are the woman that will introduce nora to gourmet cupcakes. GOURMET CUPCAKES, y'hear?

if that ain't love, i dont know what is!

ps check out this bad boy, if you're still open to ideas...

http://thatswhatshesaidwritingsfrombrandi.blogspot.com/2008/10/super-chicken.html

L said...

Or you could come visit and I could give you sewing lessons??

And look at it this way: if you made Nora a costume, you would never want to give it away--ever. A costume you bought for Nora can be given away without too much compunction when you're done with it. You're just saving storage space. :)

AC Assistant Supervisors said...

Don't worry about it! I was listening to one of Libby's Disney CD's the other day (don't worry-- Libby was with me!), and we were on her favorite song, "Pop Goes the Weasel." Then I listened to one of the verses:
"You may try to sew and sew and never make something regal, so roll it up and let it go! Pop goes the weasel..."
It seemed like a random verse and yet good advice, too. Try it out if you want to, but if it doesn't work out, just roll it up, stick it in a back closet, and let it go! She will be adorable no matter whether she's a Little Red Riding Hood or a Tiger. Or just start sewing one size up so she can wear it next year, and it will give you a whole year to work on it! Good luck!!

AC Assistant Supervisors said...

Sorry-- forgot to log out of our other google account. The last comment was from me!
-Jacy

a gimbel said...

Betsey,

In a little corner of my heart, I was touched to tears by the idea that one of my daughters might, just, in some little way, want to be like me. I spent so many teen years not wanting to be like my mom, and then I spent the rest of my life wishing, hoping and working to be more like her! Thank you so much for the compliment.

I started sewing when I was twelve because my family was poor, and I wanted new clothes. I used money from my paper route to buy patterns, and fabric, and eventually even my own sewing machine, so I could be pretty.

Over the years I learned to love sewing, and it became more an expression of my creativity. I always marveled that I could take a flat piece of fabric and turn it into something three dimensional. I'm sorry that I got so busy during your teen years that I wouldn't share something so enjoyable with you. I wish we lived closer now, so I could teach you everything I know. Then you could sew cute little dresses for Nora that everyone could ooh and aah over.

I love you Betsey. You are way smarter than me in so many ways!

Love you,
Claudia

Nels, Drea, and Crew said...

Oh, we are in the same boat so don't feel bad. I have never sewn my kids anything. My sister and I made a quilt for my mom and dad last year for Christmas, but she totally had to show me how. I am trying to make one for Nels's parents this year and let me tell ya, it has taken me FOREVER! Keep trying though, you are very smart and can do it!

Unknown said...

YOU'RE MOM IS SO CUTE!! I LOVE CLAUDIA!!!!

Unknown said...

YOU'RE MOM IS SO CUTE!! I LOVE CLAUDIA!!!!

Jenna said...

I have been feeling serious guilt this year as it's the first year I have not made Shea, Chris and I's costumes. I bought them online! I couldn't believe I did it, but now I'm loving that this last week before Halloween I'm not totally consumed by making costumes. I might just give up costume making all together!! :-) Miss you.