I shouldn't be alarmed by this at all, simply because I am friends with old professors, my last two bosses, and several aunts and uncles. Facebook is for everyone! It is a really easy and simple way to stay connected to people, and I enjoy finding old friends and getting updated on their lives.
I think that it amused me because neither of my parents are very technologically savvy. My brother has explained to my mom how to use her iPod at least six times and she still isn't sure how to manage her music. I just can't imagine her posting videos and pictures to her Facebook page.
I think it horrified me for similar reasons. If my mom can figure out Facebook, does this mean that my parents are catching up to my level of technology? Does that mean I am falling behind the technology times? Should I start Twitter-ing and create my own Youtube channel? How long it is going to be before Nora starts making fun of me because I can't figure out my own computer? Is this the beginning of the end for hip, young Betsey?
8 comments:
people from my ward ask to be my friends and it totally freaks me out...facebook is not for old people it is for YOUNG people...but wait..I'm not that young am I?? you should definitely get on twitter and start your own youtube channel...I'd watch...
I have a mission companion who is in a Facebook group called "My mom's on Facebook." I have a couple of friends from my mom's ward, who are OLDER than her. I was friends with an 82 year old man who knew Ben (was because he died in December). It's a little weird.
I have a Twitter page, but I don't tweet much.
I was ok with my mom having facebook, but then one day my grandma added me . . . that was a little too much.
my 'rents are on facebook, and lots of my aunts..I agree that it's a great, easy way to connect...but I've noticed that some 'older' people, like my MIL, don't quite get how to interact with others. ex) my MIL always writes:
Dear so and so
How are you, blah blah blah
Love,
Mom/Helen...
this is on someone's wall..in letter format...
my folks are both on facebook, but my mom has said she isn't adding anyone as a friend who isn't us kids. So she has like 3 friends. And that's all she wants. But your other commenter who said her grandma added her... wow. that does take the cake.
Jamie's mom just got on cuz some of her old friends wanted to stay in touch that way, but it is a little weird and funny. When we go over there she's always asking Jamie how to do stuff on the computer and with her ipod too.
my mom however can't ever read a text message on her phone! she says why don't they just call me? why do they write me a message? I don't know how to type messages with my phone!
I am not on face book...i guess that makes me old, lol ;-) I don't know if i have time to keep up with life if I add that too ;-) So yeah... I am old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe when my kids (for now just one ;) grow up and get their own life, I'll consider it... I don't know.
So Betsey.....
(At our house, when Mom says, "So--insert name here-- you always know I am about the ask or say something really stupid)
When you come visit me tomorrow, are you going to help me set up a facebook account?
Claudia
Post a Comment