It was a beautiful day today--the kind of fall day that people think of when they say "I love the fall." Lots of fun trick-or-treaters came to our door. We ate our Subway outside (I'm not cooking on Halloween. It's a holiday!) and passed out candy. I made ghost suckers (tootsie pops covered in kleenex to look like ghosts). I think a few kids were annoyed that it wasn't chocolate (the coveted Halloween candy), but some of the kids really liked the ghosts.
My favorite trick-or-treater was one of the kids from our church nursery. Hannah came to our house with her dad. I gave her the candy, and we chatted with her dad for a bit. While we were chatting, you could see sweet little Hannah eyeing the candy. She was too polite to ask for more, but she shyly opened her bag and gave me such an adorable smile that by the time we finished talking to her dad, her bag was half way full.
Nora was enchanted by all the fun kids dressed up as Spider Man, various princesses, and farm animals. She was not so excited by the goblins and zombies. She broke out in tears when a few of the kids came to our door! I'm glad we didn't go out trick-or-treating with her. It was fun to have all the kids come to us, and heaven knows we do not need any candy at our house!
6 comments:
one of the most cherished home movies in my family involves a tootsie pop ghost. the footage opens with me, age six, having a hysterical tantrum. undeterred by the video camera, i proceed, through sobs, to report my brother's crime to my dad:
"he opened THIS [thrusts out opened tootsie pop toward camera], took a LICK...and he didn't even have my PERMISSION!"
sobs continue. dad goes upstairs to locate thieving brother who is found rolling around on the floor wearing nothing but superman underpants. both parents can't keep it together and end up giggling mightily at their scantily clad boy while i, tootsie-ghostless, look on forlornly knowing that fortune has smiled on the younger sibling once again. my ghost was destroyed and nobody even understood.
just thought you should know it is possible that some anal-retentive little kid is treasuring her ghost and plotting how she will preserve it for her posterity and maybe even losing sleep when her chubby little sibling has his way with it. chocolate can't hold a candle to that!
your kid is cute. happy halloween :)
Happy Halloween to our favorite little tiger!!
Amy, what an erudite commentary! You should seriously publish. You left me filled with angst, since I, too have suffered plundering and pillaging older siblings.
Then I remember sneaking chocolate treats from my kids' bags while they slept--I'm such an old fraud.
Thanks for a smile on a Saturday morning.
And Betsey and Richard.....you have such a beautiful little daughter--I want to be with her all the time. Curses to long miles, and busy schedules!
Claudia
we made ghost tootsie pops too! Zac was pretty brave except for a lady dressed as a witch passing out candy, he wouldn't go near her!
Nora is a cute tiger, it sounds like ya'll had a great night! miss ya!
You've got a pretty ferocious looking tiger on your hands! I am going to try to get my kids to sell metheir Halloween candy to me, then I send it with Nels to work. That way I don't eat at it all day and hopefully we can avoid a cavity or two!
oh she's so cute. I was worried that you lost her costume??? We only got one set of 3 trick or treaters. We don't have a street light on our section of the street so I"m sure people skip it. Our pumpkins were out though.
oh, and I did the kleenex tootsie pop thing for Dylan's school friends too. And Amber made them at her house I saw from her blog.
Post a Comment