We had a quick little visit to the emergency room yesterday, after I gave Nora some peanut butter.

She has had some peanut products before, so I thought we were in the clear. The E.R. doctor told us that an allergic reaction can (and usually) shows up on the 3rd or 4th exposure. This was Nora's third time getting peanut butter.

I'm sad the pictures didn't turn out better, but she looked so pitiful! When I gave her the peanut butter, she was immediately agitated. She scratched at her tongue and started to rub her eyes. She was crying and so sad. I thought that maybe she just didn't like the peanut butter. I gave her some milk, and she calmed down, but then her face started swelling up and turning red with large blotches. Her eyes were watery and her nose was running. She was just a mess! I called Richard (who had just got off the train and was walking home). He (smartly) suggested that we get in the car and take her to the E.R.

The E.R. was hard, but the staff was just amazing. They got Nora in immediately and were so kind and helpful. Nora got some Benadryl, and after about 2 hours, her face looked virtually normal.

We have an appointment with our pediatrician on Tuesday to learn all about her allergy. I'm sad, because peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are such a staple of childhood! We are grateful that our little girl is okay and glad that we discovered the allergy at home, close to our wonderful hospital. Nora was a brave girl and we are so proud of her.
10 comments:
That stinks! Poor little thing. I am glad that she is ok and that it wasn't worse.
Poor Nora, I'm sorry you guys had to go through this. We accidentally discovered that Harper is allergic to peanuts about a month ago. Her lips swelled up to about five times their normal size. It was so sad.
But her doctor did say that a lot of kids grow out of the allergy so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Good luck!
There are some strong allergies on the Hawkins/Palmer side of the family. Bill grew out of his. My mother didn't grow out of hers until she was in her seventies. It is good you had immediate help for her and now you can find out what else she may be allergic to. Grandma C.
Oh la! First I'm jealous that your trip to the ER was quick. I've never heard of such a thing. :-) We feel you on the allergy front. I'm sitting here looking at the sign on Clare's hospital crib that lists all of her new allergies and totally not sure what to do with all that. Good luck to you guys and us as well as we figure these out. Love you all!
Poor Nora. I feel her pain! Almond butter and jelly sandwiches are fabulous. :) Good luck.
Bummer! I feel really bad since I encouraged you to try it! But on the other hand, it is better that it was you who gave it to her at home than Nora accidentally getting it somewhere else. If it makes you feel better, I hated PB and J growing up and would only eat cheese sandwiches with nothing else on it.
Poor miss. That's so sad that she won't be able to eat peanut butter. It seems like all of the schools are "peanut free zones." At least she can still do dairy. She's so cute, even in her swollen pictures.
Poor little Nora!!! Good job being on the ball parents and getting her fixed up!!! I hope the allergy wears off as she grows up-in any case peanuts is a way better allergy to have than milk or gluten :)
I'm so sorry. We won't have any PB&J when you visit. Her pics are sad but pretty funny still. I have a friend who didn't give her kids PB 'til they were almost two and already on their way to the doctor in case they had allergies b/c their dad is allergic to lots of things.
Good job taking her in.
Blah! Sofia has the same thing (as you know) but we went through some extensive testing and blah blah blah with an amazing peanut allergy doc if you want to chat. Lots of info...
Im sorry. It is no fun! Just be sure to check french fries (some are fried in peanut oil but not McDonalds!!! Whoohoo!) and tempura (also in peanut oil.) Silly mom didn't check and those two have sent us in many, many of times.
Post a Comment