Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Three Times

I cried three times yesterday.

Before you even think of it, I'm not pregnant.  No way, don't even think about it.  

1.  I was on the treadmill at the gym.  The Today Show was on and it is being recorded in Ireland this week (Hello, St. Patrick!)  I lived in Ireland for 18 months serving a full-time, proselytizing mission for my Church from 2000-2002.  Although I loved my experience in Ireland and feel very strongly about the spiritual growth that I experienced while in the country, I've never felt very sentimental about the Ireland depicted in movies, television, books etc.  It just wasn't what I experienced in Ireland.  I lived in Belfast, Dublin and Cork.  I didn't experience the quaint, Irish village surround by rolling hills with a castle in the background.  I always sort of roll my eyes at that version of Ireland.  It seems so simplistic.

So, as I was jogging and watching the Today Show, I was surprised to realize that it wasn't just sweat on my cheeks, but tears!  I could feel this huge lump in my throat as I watched images of red-haired girls doing traditional Irish dancing,  a brightly colored pub with a darling old man in front, smoking a pipe, and majestic stone castles sprouting up out of green, rolling hills.  I quickly wiped away the tears, hoping that no one saw me crying over the closing sequence of the Today Show.  

2.  I've been scanning old pictures while Nora naps and usually I watch a movie on Richard's laptop as I scan.  You can watch some movies instantly on Netflix.  After watching Mama Mia and being blown away by Meryl Streep (did you see her dancing?!?!  She's almost 60 for heaven's sake, she is amazing!), I've been watching her movies and developing an even deeper love for Ms. Streep.  I decided to watch Marvin's Room.  

Yikes!  What a tear-jerker!  Estranged sisters!  Ailing parents!  Way-word teens!  A surprise illness!  Reunited Family!  This movie had it all.  I was crying like a baby.  

3.  Finally, Richard and I have watched an hour of the movie Australia for the last three night!  Wow, that movie is long.  I was almost ready to give up on the movie.  But, Richard was excited to sit down and finish it.  (BTW, Richard is a finisher.  Most of the time, this is a charming quality).  

I should have had my guard up by this point.  Two cries in one day is acceptable, but THREE!  Over MOVIES/T.V.?!?!  That is just excessive.  But nope,  the water works started soon after the Japanese started bombing.  I was wiping my face on my shirt and choked up the rest of the movie.  

So, what have I learned from this tear-filled day?  First, I've learned that it is hard to hold back tears while jogging.  Second, I learned that I get teary during really silly things, especially movies/television shows.  I might have to blog about all the silly movies I have cried during.  I didn't cry when I found out my grandma died, but you better believe that when Bailey died in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I was sobbing my eyes out.  Did I cry on my own wedding day?  Nope.  Did I cry when Landon and Jamie got married in A Walk to Remember?  I was bawling like a big ol' baby.  Even in the moment when I am crying, I know that I am being ridiculous.  I just can't seem to help it.  Bring on the water works.  



8 comments:

amy said...

I really appreciate this post for several reasons.

1) I am a finisher, too, but I had never labeled it. Giving the trait a name is empowering and the fact that you think it is (usually) charming? Now I'm proud to be a finisher!

2) I once cried on a treadmill really, really hard. I was genuinely sad and had gone to the gym for solace (this doesn't happen often) and wept for like an hour. I didn't feel better afterwards, but I did feel the incident took me to a new level of hardcore.

3) Sometime ask Kate Kelly what happened when we watched 8 Seconds together. Our friendship is still recovering. Movie criers unite!

L said...

I was in DC Sunday late through this morning, and in that time period managed to tear up twice. TWICE! I thought about you both while I was there. Although that wasn't the impetus for the tears.

Lili said...

haha--I do get wistful for the cliche Irish stuff! See, I served in Galway for 6 months and made treks out to wee villages with thatched-roof cottages...
so, yeah. I get wistful for the cliche Irish country stuff *almost* as much as I do for rundown Lurgan and Craigavon.

(And tonight some girlfriends and I watched the Mayor of Casterbridge, which is set in Southern England. The countryside scenes looked just like my home for a year last year...that made me wistful, too...)

And the film made me cry. So I only did it once today, but I hear ya. ;)

Janelle said...

My great-grandmother was born in County Cork. I would love to go to Ireland someday.

I didn't realize that Mamma Mia was available for "watch now" on Netflix...yay!

I heard that Australia was really long. My aunt said it could have ended about four times before it actually did. Whew!

We need to get together sometime!

Anonymous said...

yes. but have you cried during pepsi commercials? cell phone commercials? diaper commercials?

Jen said...

It must have been yesterday's karma because I cried, too. I have also cried over American Idol tryouts on tv and when I was just driving one day and saw a lady helping an older lady walk at the cemetery.

Jessica said...

I cried during almost ALL of the Notebook when I saw it in the theater. It was really embarrassing since I was the 3rd wheel with my friend and her bf. Plus, I get really red when I cry so I can't even play it off. Boo!

The 'Chard said...

I beg to differ. You cried on our wedding day and I have the pictures to prove it! Seriously, I'm way better than the douchy guy in that awful Mandy Moore movie. Don't worry--I still love you, albeit barely.